Author Topic: Drumcliff - Ballinfull. Was Ardtarmon Castle a village at some stage?  (Read 5984 times)

Offline bullet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thanks to the Catholic Registers coming on line through the week, I have been lucky enough to find links to my elusive "Hooks" side of the family.     It says for the place of their residence (in 1868 and 1872) was "Ardtarmon" and am wondering if at some stage there was a hamlet or village in the area, or, as I suspect, they were working and living on the estate.  Googling gives me only accommodation facilities and there is little in depth history available.

Any help to dig a bit deeper and further would be  much appreciated.
Woodward - Cheshire, Robinson - Yorkshire, Rees - Wales, Ohara, McGlennon, Kirwan - Ireland & Scotland.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Drumcliff - Ballinfull. Was Ardtarmon Castle a village at some stage?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 July 15 04:56 BST (UK) »
While there are many references to Ardtarmon, the townland name was Ardtermon, you can see it here c.1830s:

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,559231,843449,10,7:

So if you google Ardtermon, you will see a few other bits and pieces, eg:

http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/property-show.jsp?id=337   

Gore-Booth family:

http://www.proni.gov.uk/introduction__lissadell_papers_d4131_.pdf

Offline bullet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 July 15 06:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for this information gaffy, interesting reading and much appreciated.
Woodward - Cheshire, Robinson - Yorkshire, Rees - Wales, Ohara, McGlennon, Kirwan - Ireland & Scotland.

Offline Michael Leydon

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 September 16 20:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks to the Catholic Registers coming on line through the week, I have been lucky enough to find links to my elusive "Hooks" side of the family.     It says for the place of their residence (in 1868 and 1872) was "Ardtarmon" and am wondering if at some stage there was a hamlet or village in the area, or, as I suspect, they were working and living on the estate.  Googling gives me only accommodation facilities and there is little in depth history available.

Any help to dig a bit deeper and further would be  much appreciated.

Hello

I'm 63 and was born in Cloghcur  the adjoining townland to Ardtarmon. They was a lady we called Lizzy (Elizabeth) hooks living on the family farm in Ardtarmon when I was a kid. The farm was sold (probably in the late 1960's) My brother lives on our family farm in Cloghcur and would have more info.
Have you any other roots in the Drumcliff/Maugherow area

Regards
Michael

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 September 16 20:34 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01idu/  appears to show some cottages at back of House!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline bullet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 September 16 00:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Michael Leydon for your reply and also to hallmark for the links.

My 2nd Great Grandmother was Alice Hooks who I believe at this stage was born in Ardtarmon.  Possibly her sisters were Maria and Catherina and her parents were either Jacob or Joannes Hooks and Maria Moran or Kilmartin.  I can't be certain about these though.

What I can be certain is, is that Alice (or Alicia) married Michael O'Hara and had four children, Maria, (1864-1901 who was my great grandmother and moved to Leeds when she was around 17 as that was when she married a man who was 31 with a son, - her marriage cert stated her father was deceased) Bridget, John and Michael, all living at Rathcormac  at the time of their births, ( their christenings being in Roman Catholic Drumcliffe Magherow - sponsors were Martinus Hooks and Margareta McGonigle).  What happened to Maria's siblings is unknown....I can't find anything about them at this stage.

I have no further roots in Ireland for this side of the family so I am at a dead end.

Any further information regarding the Hook's from that area would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for your interest.