Author Topic: Looking for any info on two old Liverpool Pubs  (Read 5291 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for any info on two old Liverpool Pubs
« on: Sunday 12 July 15 19:03 BST (UK) »
I spent  lovely couple of hours last week with a 94 year old lady who entertained me wonderfully with tales of family history.

Her father was a pub manager in Liverpool, first at a pub called The Loggerheads which was in Richmond Row, I'm not sure when they first went there but they left that one in about 1933.
Then he ran another pub called Evelyn House which was on Stanley Road, they were there during WW2 and from what I could gather left in about 1951. I was told the brewery was Walkers Warrington Ales.

I am not finding anything much online about either of them so wondered if anyone could suggest where I may find some info. I'd love to find a photo of both/either of them to take next time I go and see her.

Thanks

Boo

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for any info on two old Liverpool Pubs
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 July 15 19:55 BST (UK) »
The Loggerheads was at 172 Richmond Row and closed in 1933.  It was owned by Peter Walker & Son Ltd.,  and was under tenancy in 1909.

Evelyn House was at 115/117 Stanley Road, corner of Evelyn Street and was also a Walkers House, under management in 1909.

Walker and later Tetley Walker pubs: there are lots of photos in the Liverpool Record Office collection, donated by the company, and there may be other material there too.

A

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 July 15 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Ainslie

Thank you! May I ask where you got the info about the Loggerheads closing in 1933?

and yes, I dropped a typo with "Wakers" and it should have said "WaLkers" ( which is possibly why my web searches fail!)

I'll email Liverpool Archives and enquire about what they have about this company.

The lady had me giggling at her description of an incendiary bomb setting the Evelyn House roof on fire, as the water had 'run out' because so many places were on fire, they put the fire out with beer!

She's just delightful, 94, frail but all there and then some. I'll be really pleased to find something for her.

Thanks again

Boo

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 July 15 23:04 BST (UK) »
Ì have a single copy of the City of Liverpool Licensing Book for 1909 which listed all licensed premises in the city, street by street.
The book contains many later handwritten amendments including the date of closure of the Loggerheads.  The word used is 'compensated', which means that the licence was surrendered in exchange for either a payment from the authorities or perhaps the grant of a licence elsewhere.  If there is a copy of the book in the city archives I doubt if it will have these annotations.
A

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 July 15 23:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation, I note down references whenever I can

so I can now add your explanation into my notes and mark it 'information kindly provided by Ainslie in Rootschat" :-)

Thanks for the help, much appreciated

Boo

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 July 15 23:20 BST (UK) »
There are hundreds of fascinating photos, forum topics and information in general on Ged Fagan's site:
http://www.yoliverpool.com/
http://www.pictureliverpool.com/
(may be of interest, though I am unsure if those specific pubs are included anywhere)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 July 15 23:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ruskie, I 'think' I have looked at that site before though it was a good while ago.
Will have  a good firkle through it, looks like I could lose whole days reading through and no doubt will find lots of interest.

Boo

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 July 15 23:58 BST (UK) »
Ged Fagan's sites have changed a bit over the years. :)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 July 15 13:52 BST (UK) »
The tenant of the Evelyn House in 1938 was Edward Joseph Walsh according to Kelly's.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk