Author Topic: Charles Alexander Burleigh Robson DCM - 2nd Lieutenant Irish Fusiliers  (Read 3818 times)

Offline K8T

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am researching this 2nd Lieutenant who was born in Newcastle in around 1880.  He uses any combination of his names, but I cannot find his birth with any certainty,  He is on the CWGC as Charles Alexander Burleigh Robson but is also on other sites as just Alexander Robson.  He marries  as Charles Alexander Robson to an Alice Helena (Eleanor) Heaver in 1906 and I've found him on the 1911 Census in Headley, Hampshire in the military camp there with his wife and two daughters; he is back to Alexander now.  Can anyone find him on any other census?  Also, any other information on his service and how he got his DCM would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
K8T

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Alexander Burleigh Robson DCM - 2nd Lieutenant Irish Fusiliers
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 July 15 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi K8T

Can't help with the birth but did find this, which gives details of his service and DCM

Awarded D.C.M. For Conspicuous Gallantry at St Eloi, France, on the 14th March 1915.This was published in the London Gazette, Supplement,

''When almost encircled by the enemy, he held the trench against superior numbers with marked ability and by his determination and example greatly contributed to the complete success which was eventually attained''.

https://sites.google.com/site/frimleyandcamberley/

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 July 15 07:05 BST (UK) »
The DCM was for 'Other Ranks' so he was commissioned after receiving the DCM. You should look for his commission in the London/Edinburgh/Dublin Gazette, which is online.

The advantage of being an officer is that his death will almost certainly be mentioned in the battalion war diary, most of which are online - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-war-diaries-1914-1922/

It looks as if he was a pre-war regular. If you go back to the 1911 census and press PREVIOUS you should find his pre-war regiment. It may be the same as at they start of WW1, in which case it will be on his medal card. If you post his regimental number we should be able to tell you when he enlisted.

Researching his local newspapers at the time of his DCM, commission and death would also be useful. You may even get a photograph provided by his family.

Ken

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 July 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
Medal Roll Card A Robson regiment number 9776 Princess Victoria Royal Irish Fusiliers
Wife Mrs A Robson ( widow )
Rose Villa ,College Town ,Camberley Surry ..
Can't see any records for enlistment or pension records

Father Charles Burleigh Robson

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 July 15 11:35 BST (UK) »
9776 in the Royal Irish Fusiliers would have been issued about early 1908. The 1911 census confirms he was serving in the 1st Battalion RIFus.

There are two records for 2nd Lt A Robson in the National Archives:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C728751

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C728752

They are not online. Also they started to cull these records in the 1930s so neither may be him. If his record does survive it should (based on by GFs record) give you a copy of his record as an OR.

I am a bit surprised he accepted a commission, especially as a 2/Lt. As such he would have earned about the same as a Sergt Major, but have to provide his own uniform etc. My GF was commissioned 2nd Lt but on the same day he was promoted to Captain and received an allowance for being an Adjutant. When his battalion was disbanded a year later, and he went back to substantive 2nd Lt he threatened to resign as he could not support his wife and six children on a 2nd Lt pay. Even though he was also receiving 3s 6d  a day pension after 25 years as an OR. In the end Lord Derby found him a Capt/Adjutant job with the Cheshires.

Ken

Offline Phil Evans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi K8T. I am also like you researching Alexander Robson and his son Charles Robson. Like you, I am stuck on his date of birth but I can give you details of his military service before joining the Ryl. Irish Fuslrs. He served in the Boer War as 5463 Pte A Robson. 2nd Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers. He qualified for the Queens South Africa medal with clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, and Transvaal. In his first major engagement, at the disasterous Battle of Stormberg, he was taken prisoner. As with most of British the POWs, he was released some days later as the Boers had no facilities to house prisoners. In early 1900 he was invalided back to England after contracting fever.
I know this info is correct as I own his and his sons medal groups, hence my interest in both soldiers. If you have any info that would be of interest to me then please let me know. Regards Phil

Offline Phil Evans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 September 15 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi. I have found some more info on Alexander Robson. Are you still interested

Offline K8T

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 September 15 21:22 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Claire.t, km1971, rosie17 and Phil for all the information, it is really interesting and much appreciated.
Many apologies for the late response.
K8T

Offline K8T

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 18:14 GMT (UK) »
I now have a copy of the marriage certificate dated 1906 and he has stated that his father is called Charles Alexander Burleigh Robson, deceased - a fitter.  I cannot find any mention of a death in this name.  No Alexander Robson born in Newcastle around 1880 has a father who is a fitter and no Alexander who has a father called Charles.  I am at a loss on where to go next.