Author Topic: Pinhoe/Clyst St George/Heavitree Banns and Marriage query  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Timasina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Pinhoe/Clyst St George/Heavitree Banns and Marriage query
« on: Monday 13 July 15 15:14 BST (UK) »
This is a puzzle and I am hoping someone knows, or can work out, the answer :)

On FindMyPast I have the banns read at Pinhoe for a marriage that later takes place in Heavitree.
The banns state that the groom is of the parish, so Pinhoe, and the bride of Heavitree but the transcription gives him of Clyst St George.
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fdev2%2fbanns%2f72088%2f1

The marriage in Heavitree states bride is of the parish, so Heavitree, and the groom is of Clyst St George.
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fdev2%2fmar%2f164302%2f1

So how would the banns transcriber know that the groom was of Clyst St George, as the actual image entry only states 'of this parish', unless the register was really for Clyst St George?

Also if it really is a Pinhoe banns register why would banns be read at a church unconnected to the couple when they went on to marry in the bride's home church? I am pretty sure there was no reason for secrecy.

Any knowledge or ideas would be very welcome as I am stumped!

Many thanks in advance
Chris

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pinhoe/Clyst St George/Heavitree Banns and Marriage query
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 07:13 BST (UK) »
Chris,
I can't solve your problem but interestingly when you look at the parishes in the collections on FindMyPast, Clyst St George is included in the marriages but not in the Banns!
(I would tend to believe the marriage register.)
Good hunting
Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline Timasina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pinhoe/Clyst St George/Heavitree Banns and Marriage query
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 12:04 BST (UK) »
Peter

Thank you for your reply.

I hadn't noticed that the Banns for Clyst St George were missing from the parish collection list. I think that adds more weight to my theory that at some point the parish of Pinhoe has been mistakenly, and confusingly, added as 'Place' to the index.

I did a little more digging and when the bride marries for the second time the marriage takes place at Clyst St George, again both 'of the Parish', but the index lists the place as Pinhoe!

I wish there was an easy way of scrolling back, or jumping pages, on FindMyPast to get to the start of a register to see what it actually says as you can with Ancestry. Fiddling about to try and find the first page by searching just didn't work for me this time :(

Anyway I am sticking with Banns and Marriage at Clyst St George ;D

Thanks again
Chris