Author Topic: Children and 2nd marriage of John Binks of Broughton?  (Read 4845 times)

Offline mwaples

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Children and 2nd marriage of John Binks of Broughton?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 June 21 11:31 BST (UK) »
I see this is an old post but I signed up to rootschat to answer it in case I could be of help. I'm not sure if you have  more information on George Womack but I may be able to help.

I'm a descendant of Thomas Binks Senior and I can give you anything you need on the Binks family and more information on George Edward Womack. He was working on the Binks farm at Berry before he went to war. I've attached a copy of a photo he sent back to the Binks from the war. My mother has the original photo and I'd be happy to scan a high resolution copy for you. We also have a copy of John Binks sister Jane Binks diary where he gets mentioned a lot. He was quite close to the Binks family and they seemed to treat him as one of the family. I can provide copies of the bits of the diary where he was mentioned if you like.

He was the first soldier from the town of Berry to die in WW1. I think about 25 soldiers from Berry died in the war. The small rural towns round here sent huge numbers of men to WW1 and many were killed or wounded. There is a street Womack Cl in Berry which I assume was named after him.

Thomas Binks Senior came from Sedgeford, Norfolk so I wonder if there was some sort of connection between the families.