Author Topic: Selkirk Family of Frame Work Knitters  (Read 9035 times)

Offline back2front

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Selkirk Family of Frame Work Knitters
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 19:40 BST (UK) »
OPR of Gorbals, Glasgow has a Charles Mitchell of the 1st Battalion of Rifle Brigade marrying an Isabella Anderson on 29th January 1820.

The Battalion was based at Gosport but sailed to Scotland in September 1819 landing at Leith then marched to Glasgow where they were based  for the next year. The Battalion left Glasgow in November 1820 for Port Patrick in Ireland. During the following seven years the Battalion was based in several places in Ireland before returning to Devonport.

If this is your ancester, he probably bought himself out of the Battalion to return to Leicester with his young family.

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Gari Boys ( and girls! )
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 00:05 BST (UK) »
OPR of Gorbals, Glasgow has a Charles Mitchell of the 1st Battalion of Rifle Brigade marrying an Isabella Anderson on 29th January 1820.

The Battalion was based at Gosport but sailed to Scotland in September 1819 landing at Leith then marched to Glasgow where they were based  for the next year. The Battalion left Glasgow in November 1820 for Port Patrick in Ireland. During the following seven years the Battalion was based in several places in Ireland before returning to Devonport.

If this is your ancester, he probably bought himself out of the Battalion to return to Leicester with his young family.

Wow, I can't thank you enough for posting this. This looks very much like it must be them.
Their first son was born in Ireland, but he can't remember where and that was about 1820.

I thought they must be either travellers or army as they moved about so much. Is there anywhere that you can suggest that I can find out more about Charles Mitchell and the postion in the army that he held?. Please don't worry if you can't, I am honestly so grateful for the information you have already given.

Best wishes
Ax

Offline back2front

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 09:06 BST (UK) »
You may be able to find out more info at the National Archives at Kew. 

Unfortunately these records are not available online but if you go to www.discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk
and choose Muster Books from the Frequent Search List,
then go to Advanced Search and enter WO12 10054,
this will give you details of the first Muster Book available for the 1st Battalion of Rifle Brigade.

The Muster Books are then in year order from WO12 10054 onwards. 

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Gari Boys ( and girls! )
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 19:04 BST (UK) »
You may be able to find out more info at the National Archives at Kew. 

Unfortunately these records are not available online but if you go to www.discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk
and choose Muster Books from the Frequent Search List,
then go to Advanced Search and enter WO12 10054,
this will give you details of the first Muster Book available for the 1st Battalion of Rifle Brigade.

The Muster Books are then in year order from WO12 10054 onwards.

Thank you once more for all the information you have given and the time you've taken.
I really do appreciate it.
I'm off to find out about the 1st Battalion of rifle Brigade :)
Best wishes
Alfietcs