Author Topic: Archibald White  (Read 3690 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald White
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 July 15 14:31 BST (UK) »
I looked at the record, the ship was the Humphrey Nelson, official number 12667. I would think your best bet would be a crew list or a ship's log, IF they are still in existence.

I put that name and number into the CLIP website.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fq3/

Its not looking hopeful I am afraid.
I also tried Cumberland archives catalogue (as the ship was registered to Maryport) to see if they had anything, but drew a blank on anything early enough to cover 1859.

I am by no means expert at shipping records though, so hopefully someone who is will have more idea where to look.

Boo

Offline Linda Walker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 July 15 15:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 January 16 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Linda, I have been researching Archibald White and Elizabeth Knox for the BERWICK FAMILIES PROJECT organised by Berwick Record Office. I have most of the info listed on this forum about Elizabeth (plus lots of newspaper references if you would like them). But the info re Archibald is new and most helpful! I am delighted to find it. Have you found out anything further about him esp his merchant navy voyages?

Thank also to everyone who has contributed info. The Berwick Project plans to make all this info available to the public and to put it online(eventually).

Val
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 October 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
My 4th great grandmother  :o
ELIZABETH KNOX/WHITE

Daily News London England Saturday February 18th 1871

On Sunday morning the body of a woman named Elizabeth White was found on the ramparts at Berwick. It is believed that the woman had been left where the body was found by 3 men and that she was afterwards frozen to death.
She was buried at Berwick cemetery on Wednesday. The Rev J Irwin vicar of St Marys Berwick met the corpse at the cemetery gates and accompanied it to the grave but he declined to read the burial service over it because the woman had been a habitual drunkard and prostitute. The greater part of her life was spent in Berwick workhouse and gaol. She had been 114 times before the magistrates and 56 times convicted of drunkenness and vagrancy.

WOMAN FROZEN TO DEATH

About a quarter to one on Sunday while two boys Robert Knox and William Reilly were going round the mound on the ramparts called Cumberland Bastion they found the body of a woman lying on the ground, nearly covered with snow, frozen to death. They immediately gave information to the Police and the stretcher was taken to the walls and the body examined. It proved to be the body of Elizabeth White alias Bess Knox. Up to now all that is known of the affair is that on Saturday night the deceased was seen in the High Street, two men were with her.

The Police proceeded down Western Lane and on their returning found that the deceased had left the place. The men were not known to the Police.
The above rather extraordinary but unfortunate  woman has been no less than 115 times in the Police books during the last 25 years. An inquest will be held upon the body of the deceased.

17.2.1871 NEWCASTLE COURANT

DEATH FROM EXPOSURE AT BERWICK

About noon on Sunday the dead body of a woman named Elizabeth White alias Bess Knox aged about 55,a well known character in the town was found on the ramparts. She had led a life of prostitution and spent the greater part of her time in the workhouse and the jail. The police have had her before magistrates about 150 times generally on charges of drunkenness and vagrancy when she was either ordered to go to the workhouse or jail for terms varying from a week to three months. It is supposed she had gone to the ramparts and lain down and had perished from the cold. When found the body was nearly covered with snow. No boots and only one stocking were on the feet. There were no marks of violence about the body.

BERWICKSHIRE NEWS  21.2.1871

THE INQUEST ON ELIZABETH WHITE

VERDICT OF MANSLAUGHTER

On Friday evening the enquiry was resumed in the Workhouse before W Weatherhead Esq Deputy Coroner
The first evidence taken was that of Charles Irvin,tailor who on being resworn said – On Wednesday last ,the 15th inst, I went with Supt Ronaldson to the mount opposite to College Place, I there pointed out to him where early on Sunday morning last I saw the two men standing talking. Mr Ronaldson pointed out to me the place where the body had been found. The place where the body was found is nearer to the sea than the place where I saw the men standing talking early on Sunday morning last. On Sunday morning last when I saw the deceased lying in front of the Corporations school she was very tipsy and very quiet making no noise.. When I saw her  before that on Mr Carr’s doorstep the same night she was very noisy. The two men I subsequently saw on the mount opposite to the College place were Murray and Hattle .I know that by their voices. I have no doubt to their identity.
Andrew Ronaldson , police superintendent said. On Wednesday the 15th inst I went with Irvin to the mount opposite College Place. He then pointed out to me the spot where the two men were standing and talking .I was out till about one o clock on Sunday morning, it was very cold and frosty.
Dr Fluker said  On Sunday last about 12.30 the boy Knox met me as I was returning from church and in consequence of what he told me ,together with Mr Mitchell I went  to the mount on the walls opposite to College Place and behind the mount I found the body of the deceased lying surrounded by snow and part of the body covered with snow. The body was lying partly on the back and partly on the right side. The head was lying on the right arm and the other arm was bent across the chest. The right leg was bare, the left leg had a stocking on it but no shoe. The head was covered and the face partially so with a small woolen shawl. I noticed marks upon the clothing of the deceased. A stretcher was sent for ,and the body of the deceased was moved to the Workhouse. When the body was lifted I examined the ground minutely for the purposes of getting the articles of clothing awanting which however I did not find. I noticed the ground on which the deceased had been lying had only a slight covering of snow the grass in some places being visible.
On Monday last 13th I made a post mortem examination of the body in the Workhouse.
Externally there was not the slightest  mark of any violence .