Author Topic: Graham Ecclefeccan  (Read 4730 times)

Offline DawnLouise

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Graham Ecclefeccan
« on: Tuesday 14 July 15 19:54 BST (UK) »
Well here goes! Massive family I know nothing about. I am a Graham from Ecclefeccan. Fathers name Alvar. Grandfather Andrew and grandmother Annie. Thats it...thats all I have! I believe my father had 13 brothers and sisters so I have a lot of researching to do. Where oh where do I start as Iv never done anything like this before??? Its so difficult with such a huge family with a common name and no dates for births deaths or marriages etc. ANY input or advice is welcome. Thanks!

Dawn Louise Graham

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Graham Ecclefeccan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn, welcome to Rootschat. Don't panic, people here will be only too pleased to try and help you.

The golden rule with Family History is to start with what you know and work backwards. Do you have your father's birth certificate? That will give his father's name and his mother's maiden name. As your research is in Scotland, I'll ask a mod to move this to the Scottish board so that people who have knowledge of those records can help.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 10:35 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat , Dawn  :)

Starting Scottish research -
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=24468.0

Register with Scotlandspeople and you can search the indexes for free.

For example , there is a death for an Alvar Graham 2011 Montrose Angus , born c1943.
That might match a birth for an Alvar Graham 1943 Hoddom Dumfries , I think Ecclefechan is in the Parish of Hoddom.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline kizziemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn,some of Alvar's family live in Ecclefechan,his brothers ,Jimmy Andrew, Colin, sisters Colina and Avril, Zena lives in Annan,also a brother Raymond in Annan and a brother Dennis in Gretna.
canonbie little,scott,jackson middlebie;nicol,jardine,cummertrees;johnston,thomson

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 21:53 BST (UK) »
Wonder if this record is connected with the family ?

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2644701/GRAHAM,%20ANDREW

Born in Longtown, Cumberland. Killed on the 5th day of the Battle of Arnhem.
http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-post-60652.html

FreeBMD has a birth Andrew Graham 1st quarter 1913 Longtown Cumberland , mother's maiden name Thirlwell.

SP has a marriage Andrew Graham /Annie Thirwell 1906 Ruthwell Dumfries.

Just noting what I've found , as Groom states you'll need to work backwards one step at a time.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline DawnLouise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone! Brilliant! And thank you!
Some of the names are familiar with my very young childhood kizziemay. Im heading north to Scotland very soon so will do some research up there. I know a lot of my fathers siblings still live around the area. I just dont know all the names. Huge family so I probably have many cousins etc I didnt even know existed. Is anyone on here related to me by any chance? I am Alvars oldest from his first marriage. Dawn xx

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
If you do meet up with relations, take the chance to ask them, especially the older ones, what they know and what photos etc they have. Far too often people leave it too late and then it is a case of "If only I'd asked that while xxxxxxx was alive."
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 November 15 11:00 GMT (UK) »
As pointed out Ecclefechan is in Hoddom, which is an Annandale Parish, with an east-west segment of the River Annan around its south boundary - look for Hoddom Castle on a map - and Ecclefechan is in the north-east corner (up against the A74).

It has a history of in-migrations, including millworkers at one point in the 19th century, travellers at another period, and in the 20th century a council estate that took people in from other areas.

So it is strikingly unlike a lot of other villages in having a very diverse community. So judging from some of the feedback above it might not be so unusual to have someone from Aberdeenshire also being recorded in Hoddom.

The main 18th-19th century graveyard is at Hoddom Cross, nearly 2 km south-west, the MIs from that might be useful
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 May 16 18:23 BST (UK) »
These MI's may or may not be your ancestors, but worth a look at.

Hoddom Old Parish Church
(South Section)

GRAHAM
Jean Hunter, spouse to Andrew Graham, miller of Hoddam Mill who died 23 August 1765 aged 24 years. Andrew Graham, miller of Hoddom Mill who died 29 November 1792 aged 37 years also Andrew Graham, son of Robert Graham, miller at Hoddam Mill who died11 March 1812 aged 25 years. (coat of arms/? Badge)

Ecclefechan Churchyard

GRAHAM
John GRAHAM who died in Ecclefechan 1826 aged 81 years also Elizabeth Bell his spouse who died 11 December 1821 aged 82 years.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman