Author Topic: David Doak and Catherine Currie  (Read 5157 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Doak and Catherine Currie
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 21:26 BST (UK) »
David Doak (c1863-29 Aug.1908 at 77 Regent St.), carter, m.(1892) Catherine “Kate” Currie (c1875-aft.1901). Regent St.
     1892/3- 28 Trafalgar St.; 1893/1897- 1 Hill St. 1900/1901- 42 Roxburgh St.
     1901 census- 42 Roxburgh St., Greenock West, Renfrewshire (all b.Greenock except Catherine): David Doak, 36, grocers van man; wife Catherine, 26, b.Duntocher; dau. Jane Doak, 8; son John Doak, 7; dau. Lizzie Doak, 5; dau. Janet Doak, 3; son Dougall Doak, 1.
     David Doak, carter, husband of Kate Currie, died at 77 Regent Street, Greenock on 29th August 1908 (Greenock Telegraph 29.08.1908)
1.   Jane Doak (29 Sept.1892)
     A daughter to Mr & Mrs David Doak, born at 28 Trafalgar Street, Greenock on 29th September 1892. (Greenock Telegraph 30.09.1892)
2.   John Doak (23 Oct.1893)
     A son to Mr & Mrs David Doak, born at 28 Trafalgar Street, Greenock on 23 October 1893. (Greenock Telegraph 24.10.1893)
3.   Lizzie Doak (28 July 1895)
     A daughter to Mr & Mrs David Doak, carter, born at 1 Hill Street, Greenock on 28th July 1895. (Greenock Telegraph 29.07.1895)
4.   Janet Doak (10 Nov.1897) m.(Kingston, Ont.) William Davidson
     A daughter to Mr & Mrs David Doak, carter, born at 1 Hill Street, Greenock on 10th November 1897. (Greenock Telegraph 11.11.1897)
5.   Dougall Currie Doak (6 Apr.1900-10 May 1901)
     A son to Mr & Mrs David Doak, born at 42 Roxburgh Street, Greenock on 6th April 1900. (Greenock Telegraph 07.04.1900) Dugald Currie died 10th May 1901 (Greenock Telegraph 10.05.1901)
6.   Peggy Doak (21 Sept.1902-18 Apr.1904)
     A daughter to Mr & Mrs David Doak, born at 77 Regent Street, Greenock on 21st September 1902. (Greenock Telegraph 22.09.1902) Peggy died 18th April 1904 (Greenock Telegraph 18.04.1904)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 21:26 BST (UK) »
Notes
The surname Doak is found in North Derry/North Antrim which makes sense with Elizabeth's birthplace in 1901 census- probably reads Londonderry Ireland. Her surname is likely to be Hatrick rather than Hettrick.

It looks like one of John and Elizabeth's children might have been born in Scotland in 1855- fingers crossed- because that year had masses of family details included such as -
Child: name, sex, date, time & place of birth
Mother: name & maiden surname
Mother: occupation (usually shown only if parents not married or no father's name given)
Mother: age & place of birth (1855 only)
Father: name & rank, profession or occupation
Father: age & place of birth   (1855 only)
Parents: date & place of marriage   (1855 only, then 1861 to date)
Siblings: parents' other children, living or deceased (numbers and sex only) 1855 only
Informant: qualification & signature (address if different from location of birth)
Registrar: date & place of registration, signature
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline William Edward davidson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 July 15 23:09 BST (UK) »
All I can say is Thank you, I never imagined I would receive so much help.  I hope that I can repay the favor some day.

Bill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 July 15 04:11 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

1901 census for 42 Roxburgh St Renfrewshire.  All b Greenock except Catherine

David Doak   36 Guards grocers van man  (see reply below)
Catherine 26 b Duntocher
Jane     8
John  7
Lizzie  5
Janet  3
Dougall  1
Greenock West ED 12 Page 5 Line 1
Yes thats them, is it possible to find the census for scotland online without joining ancestry or is that something I am going to have to do.  I did do some work on there at the start but have to admit its tough without them.  but the work you and everyone else here has really helped me, given me was much to work with.  A little history that isn't online is that Janet is my paternal grandmother.  When she was 21 she took a steamer from Scotland to canada.  She met my grandfather william davidson sometime in 1923 at a dance in kingston Ontario.  They lived a stones throw from each other in scotland, her in greenock him in boyndie they had never met until they were here.  William Davidson came here sometime after the war and on 4 march 1925 they were married.  They had three children, the youngest was my father, his sister jean 6 years older and his oldest sister by 12 years, her name was ella.  William Davidson hadn't returned from the war as yet when she died on 21 June 1945.  Not much is really known.  No hospital records at the hospital in hamilton ontario that date back that far.  The cemetery where she is buried have no records on her,  but she is there in a military plot that was designated for my grandfather,  he lived until 6 june 1993, I knew him quite well and spent quite a bit of time with him but he never spoke of her.  Only this project has brought her to my attention, my questions about a family i belong to and never knew.  So all of these replies mean so much

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 17 July 15 04:14 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

1901 census for 42 Roxburgh St Renfrewshire.  All b Greenock except Catherine

David Doak   36 Guards grocers van man  (see reply below)
Catherine 26 b Duntocher
Jane     8
John  7
Lizzie  5
Janet  3
Dougall  1
Greenock West ED 12 Page 5 Line 1
Thank you Carole I would never have known Catherine was born there.  thank you so much for your help i have read all of the replies and work you have put into this thank you

and i wonder as i am only 54 what a grocers van man is lol
bill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 17 July 15 04:19 BST (UK) »
David Doak was a Grocer's van driver.
In 1901 he was living at 42 Roxburgh St. Greenock
David Doak  36
Catherine Doak  26
Jane Doak  8
John Doak  7
Lizzie Doak  5
Janet Doak  3
Dougall Doak  1
I see Carole beat me to it.
  Thanks jim i see how important the census papers are,  with a little help they can fill in the gaps and bring them to life again.  thank you for your work

bill

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 13:20 BST (UK) »
William,
I can't tell you much about the Doak family but William Davidson is also in my family tree and shares my family ancestry.
How much research have you done on the Aberdeenshire/ Banffshire families?

I have completed some detailed research into the parents and siblings of William's mother ( Mary C Thain)
I do my own research but I  also know that some of the info found on public trees ( including onre that I believe is your own) have confused siblings, cousins, aunts and uncles!
Did you realise that your own tree also shows  Mary C Thain with siblings older than her own parents?
Some are even her grandfather's siblings!
Please feel free to contact me

Anne