Author Topic: French mystery 1990  (Read 3443 times)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: French mystery 1990
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 July 15 21:32 BST (UK) »
I have had to register several relatives deaths over the years.   What I think happens, is that the registrar   gives someone forms  to give to the Funeral Director  which he hands over to the cemetery administrator.   They authorise the burial.

Last time I went to a crematorium  for a relative, I remember a crematorium official checked the name plate on the coffin,  that it matched the details  on his paperwork..

There is a "paper trail"   for burials and cremations.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 July 15 21:41 BST (UK) »
Yes I think there would have to be a paper trail and hopefully in English too. I just really want to give her some closure and it seems like knowing the full truth might be the only way.

I am looking for a maylott born in 1950, portsmouth. I won't add the first name in case google adds too much information but it begins with an A ( even though google doesn't seem to be helpful to me it might throw up different results to someone else). There is a living person with the same name born at a similar time according to the electoral roll so hopefully my cryptic post won't cause too much confusion.
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 July 15 21:48 BST (UK) »
I am sure you have considered this already.  But just bear in mind that the details may not be pleasant (judging by  the details you have mentioned)              So,   just warn your friend to be aware that she may learn unpleasant and disturbing details.
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 July 15 21:52 BST (UK) »
Have a look at www.findmypast.co.uk
Avies ~   Norwich

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 July 15 21:56 BST (UK) »
I have looked on FindMyPast with no luck at all and also family search and Ancestry. I just don't seem to be able to locate anything other than his birth and marriage details.

I don't actually know the cause of death, it is far too painful for her to tell me but she has said that if I do find anything then I will be really shocked.
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 July 15 22:07 BST (UK) »

A possible link has been sent by PM;along with a suggestion to seek help from her MP to liaise on her behalf with Foreign Office/British Embassy in Paris.

I hope they can help.  Good luck!

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 July 15 22:11 BST (UK) »
I've sent the details from the probate index by PM  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 July 15 22:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone I really appreciate it. It's one thing tracing my own family back generations but this one really seems to be a pickle. I will let you know how we get on because this must happen to others too!  :'(
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 July 15 10:54 BST (UK) »
You could try this online form for Paris deaths.
https://teleservices.paris.fr/etatcivil//jsp/site/RunStandaloneApp.jsp?page=formengine&form=deces

On the first page: for "Mairie d'arrondissement" choose "ne sait pas" as you don't know exactly where in Paris he died.  Give his date of death.  (the other drop down is not necessary).  Use "etape suivante" to move forward.

Second page: "Nom" for surname, "Prenom" for first name(s).  The lower boxes are for spouse's name (give mother's maiden name, if you decide to fill this).

Third page: you want "Une copie intégrale de l'acte" - a full copy. You presumably only need one copy, so leave that as default.

Fourth page: names of parents. Not an obligatory field.  Again, if you decide to fill this, his mother's maiden name should be given.

Fifth page: address of requester.   Fill in the second set of boxes, too - "Pays" - country.

Sixth: additional information. You can give an email address here - you'll get a confirmation email of your request in that case.

Go forward one and you'll get a summary of all information (I stopped there as I didn't want to accidentally submit a request for "John Doe").

Response time may be slow, don't be surprised if it takes them a couple of months to get back to you.  It is also worth nothing that there is a chance they won't find him because this will cover "Paris" as in 1e through 20e, I believe, but not the outer suburbs.

You might want to try the cemetery first.  At least, she should give them a ring and find out if they hold that information - if they don't have the documentation themselves, they may know which funeral home was responsible.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk