Author Topic: Jessie Bell, born 1882 or 1883 Renfrewshire, Scotland  (Read 18633 times)

Offline sandorini

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jessie Bell, born 1882 or 1883 Renfrewshire, Scotland
« on: Friday 17 July 15 23:30 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother Teresa (Jessie) Bell was went to Quarriers at Bridge of Weir after her parents William Bell and Johanna (Jean) Newton passed away within a month of each other in 1890. William died at the Barracks in Paisley (he was a quarter master sargeant) and Johanna at Dundee, Scotland. Jessie had a sister Jane and Beatrice and a brother Robert. Each were sent to Quarriers at Bridge of Weir and then to Quarriers in Brockville, Ontario Canada via Quebec.

Jessie came with a trunk with her belongings which included a family bible that showed the family relationship to Isaac Newton however this bible has since been lost.

I am looking for any information for this family either on the Bell side or the Newton side. Ideally I would love to be able to retrace our relationship to Isaac Newton however the Bell side is equally important to me as family is everything.

I know that the Home Children (as they were called) had a difficult life. Any census information I have for my great grandmother living in Winchester, Ontario shows her living as a servant rather than a family member. However, she did marry by age 20 and have several children including my grandfather and our family is very close.

Also, there were many relatives living at the time, according to Quarrier records I have obtained, such as a step grandfather who was married to Jean's mother as well as uncles although I am uncertain how these family members are connected as I don't have any sibling information for Jean or William.

I would greatly appreciate any information anybody could provide for me.

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Sandy Kerry

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Bell, born 1882 or 1883 Renfrewshire, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 July 15 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat. No good at Scottish census returns but was Beatrice Bell aged 1 shown as Orphan in Kilmacolm Paisley Renfrewshire in 1891?

Their is also a Jane Bell aged 13 as Orphan in same place 1891
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 July 15 00:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Sandy.

This is the site to use for Scottish research. You need to pay for credits but costs are reasonable:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Also this can be useful too:
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&region=UNITED_KINGDOM_IRELAND

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 July 15 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi again just spotted a Jessie Bell aged 8 Orphan in same place as Beatrice and Jane
Keyboard86

Offline sandorini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 July 15 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there.. yes this would be one of Jessie's sisters.. thank you. I agree, it's been very difficult uncovering anything further than Jean and her husband William. I hope that I can get a lead so that I can provide my father with the information regarding his family before he is no longer living. He just turned 80 this year and though he's very healthy, we never know what will happen and my understanding is that he may have alzheimer's; if he does, it hasn't progressed very far but I would like to be able to give him the information even before he can no longer recognize the importance of what I'm saying. Thank you very much for your feedback :)

Sandy Kerry

Offline sandorini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 July 15 00:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ruskie.. this may be a site I've used before but I will definitely check it out and see if I can get any further leads.. I appreciate your help :)

Sandy Kerry

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 July 15 01:09 BST (UK) »
There's a Jessie born 1884 Renfrew
12 Robert's 1880 - 1890
Beatrice 1889

A birth cert will give address born, mother's maiden name, date & place of marriage for next step of the ladder  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 July 15 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again looking for Jane in 1881 shows a William 40 b Edinburgh Johanna 23 b Aberdeen Robert 0 b Paisley Jane 3 b Paisey Susan 2 b Paisley
Keyboard86

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 July 15 01:41 BST (UK) »
I'm curious........where does Teresa fit in with Jessie  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"