Author Topic: Robt Crawford and Elizabeth Hamilton born Scotland but reside Pembroke  (Read 9278 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robt Crawford and Elizabeth Hamilton born Scotland but reside Pembroke
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Sage,

I have been refreshing my memory reading up on your other thread which you linked at the beginning of this one (I contributed to it back in 2013/ not that I remembered  :-[    )  -
So can I ask did you ever find out what happened to Janet Hamilton, the older sister of Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Hamilton and Marion Inglis ?
I ask because - and of course this could be a huge co-incidence - but a Robert Crawford married a Janet Hamilton in Hamilton Lanarkshire on 29th Nov 1858. And with there being a death of a Janet Crawford in Pembroke during the same quarter of 1862 as a baby Thomas Hamilton Crawford, it does make me wonder if this could be mother and baby deaths  :-\   
Apologies if this sounds like adding 2 + 2 and making 10.
I looked on SP deaths for Robert in 1867 - SP also has Minor Records which includes Marine Deaths but unfortunately I had no luck finding Robert. I would imagine there would need to be a death cert somewhere especially if he had a business and Elizabeth would be his next of kin /heir. I'm not sure where English/Welsh deaths at sea would be registered.

Looby :)

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby,

Wouldn't it be typical if some of our answers were right there under our noses!  ;D
I like the way you're thinking because no I never did work out what happened to Janet but she was the eldest sister so it's not so difficult to believe that the scenario you describe could have happened.  Thanks, I'll mull over that all day as I am trotting off to work now.  :'(
Will investigate further later and thanks...
Sage.

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 23 July 15 07:36 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D  Looby, you're a Legend!

You know, when I saw those deaths of the Thomas Hamilton Crawford and a Janet Crawford together in Pembrokeshire with the same volume and page numbers I automatically thought of twins...duh!  I might have questioned it if Janet was recorded with an age.  :P

With names like Crawford and Hamilton I suppose I did think that it was a coincidence that a Janet Hamilton could marry a Robt Crawford in Lanarkshire and an Elizabeth Hamilton might marry someone of the same name in Pembrokeshire but it just never occurred to me that it would be the same Robt Crawford!!!  ::)

So while I'm doing cartwheels here I best transcribe the marriage cert which I downloaded the minute I got back in the door this afternoon...I was so certain that you were onto a winner, Looby.

29th November 1858 at 17 Low Patrick St Hamilton
Robert Crawford aged 23 of 17 Low Patrick St Hamilton
Steward on board a steam vessel (bachelor)
Son of Robt Crawford (Mason) deceased and Susan Crawford, maiden name McLean
married Janet Hamilton aged 27 of 17 Low Patrick St Hamilton
Spinster, daug of Thomas Hamilton (Thatcher) and Marion Hamilton, maiden name Inglis
Witnesses were James Horston & James Steel

So that's a major advancement in my research and a big thank you to Mabel for giving me the links to all the newspaper reports...I will enjoy taking all that in too.

If anyone has any further advice re finding a death cert for Robt Crawford that would be much appreciated.  And I suppose now I can focus on finding out if the Robt Crawford I have on the censuses in St Quivox is the correct one.

Thanks again everyone,
Sage.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 23 July 15 09:42 BST (UK) »
Good morning  Sage  ;D
I'm absolutely thrilled my hunch re - Janet Hamilton & Robert Crawford paid off!
Like you, I was very aware that the couple marrying in 1858 could have been an entirely different Robert and Janet .
But it looks like Robert married Janet in Nov 1858 then after her death married her younger sister Elizabeth in Dec 1863.
And it's probable that Robert and Janet had at least 1 child -Thomas Hamilton Crawford who died as a baby.
Bearing in mind that the daughters with his second wife are named following the traditional 'Scottish naming ' plan ie.
first daughter named after mother's mother  - Marion Inglis Crawford
second daughter named after father's mother - Susan McLean Crawford
that would make me wonder if there was an earlier son to Janet Hamilton.
First son?? after father's father  - Robert Crawford
Second son ?? after mother's father - Thomas Hamilton Crawford
Again I'm adding 2+2 and making 10  ::) but this would make sense if Robert was lost on the SS Sicilia with a son (poor wee soul) as the newspapers suggest. Also having a young surviving child would perhaps explain how Robert came to marry his sister-in-law.

I'm not sure where you could look for Robert's death cert or when it would be issued (maybe they never found his remains ). Looking for an obituary might help. Or a burial/ memorial headstone possibly at Pembroke ?   There are other articles btw. regarding the loss of the SS Sicilia in the Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette but these are pay to view on British Newspaper Archive and may not give you any more on the disaster that you already have.

As for chasing up Robert in Ayrshire - Is his mother recorded as alive on his first marriage cert?
If she is not down as deceased it may mean she was still alive and therefore there should be a death certificate for her.

Good luck,
Looby :)

PS. Added - my last paragraph reads like nonsense  :P What I mean is if Susan Crawford nee McLean was still alive in 1858 when her son marries it means, unless she moved away from Scotland,  there should be at a later date (sometime after Nov 1858) a Death Cert for her on SP. Phew !

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 23 July 15 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby,

No there's no mention of Susan Crawford (nee McLean) being deceased on the marriage cert of Robt and Janet.  I think there's a fair chance that the censuses I found in Ayrshire could be our Robt with mother Susan but I was disappointed that Robt's address in 1858 was the same as Janet's.  As a steward on a steam ship, I have no idea how he might have met up with Janet Hamilton in Hamilton, Lanarkshire.  I still have some work to do but I'm rapt that we've come this far. 

I think you're right in your suggestion that the son that died with Robt Crawford in the shipwreck would also have been Robt...so I will see if I can find his birth.  I also need to track down Janet and Elizabeth Hamilton's brother, Thomas so will keep at it. 

Shame, I forget to eat sometimes!   ;D

Offline kall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 22 July 21 19:26 BST (UK) »
Just found this thread. Very interesting reading. Elizabeth is my 1st cousin 4x removed
Karen
Forrest - Blantyre
McLellan - Dumfriesshire
McCracken - Dumfriesshire
Harkness - Dumfriesshire
Adamson - Dumfriesshire

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 23 July 21 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

I don't have a personal connection to the Hamilton/Inglis family featured in this post but I hope you found this research as intriguing as I did at the time. It proved to be a challenge for our Rootschatters and demonstrates just how fortunate we are to have such wonderful volunteers to help us with our family mysteries. I hope you got something out of the information posted and it helped to advance your own research.

Sage.