Author Topic: Misses Charlotte & Harriett DOWNES  (Read 4273 times)

Offline MAD87

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Misses Charlotte & Harriett DOWNES
« on: Saturday 18 July 15 14:36 BST (UK) »
I am researching my DOWNES family, William (a gardener) and Mary Downes (née Quigley, born in Athy), who married in Booterstown, presumably where Mary was then based.

They then lived in Clontarf and Killester, from at least 1824 to at least 1840, according to birth records of the 7 children. The youngest, my great-grandfather Thomas was born in Black Quarry, Several of his sisters were born in Seafield Avenue. Killester was the address given for one of the sons who died in 1840. All indications suggest the family was RC. There were a few Downes in north Dublin at the time and I wonder whether my William was connected to them. The whole family decamped at some point to Athavallie, Mayo, where Wm & Mary are buried. One of Thomas's children was born in Cloghran.

Over the years, the same Downes names have kept appearing in connection with Clontarf, especially the Misses Charlotte and Harriett Downes. Charlotte seems to have owned 15, The Crescent in 1848 (and was Abraham Stoker Sr’s landlady), and Harriett owned or let properties in Killester between 1847 and 1854. Between them, they seem to have inhabited and/or let out various north Dublin houses.

I have found no BMD or will records for these 2 ladies, nor have I been able to find property records apart from the Griffith’s entries. They may have been absentee landladies, but research in UK registers hasn’t turned up anything either. At a guess, I’d expect the Misses Downes to have been COI.

I’d like to eliminate them from my research, but don’t know where to go from here.

Downes - Cheshire, Warwickshire, Lincolnshire, Sussex, Middlesex,
Downes - Dublin, Laois, Kildare
(de) Lacy - Wicklow, Wexford
Quigley - Kildare, Laois
O'Leary - Clare, Ballsbridge

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Misses Charlotte & Harriett DOWNES
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 July 15 15:24 BST (UK) »
 Charlotte seems to have owned 15, The Crescent in 1848 (and was Abraham Stoker Sr’s landlady), and Harriett owned or let properties in Killester between 1847 and 1854. Between them, they seem to have inhabited and/or let out various north Dublin houses...

So go to Land Registry and see when houses were bought/sold/inherited etc would be best bet!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 July 15 15:37 BST (UK) »
Worth investigating-
1905 Downes Charlotte of 40 Wellington St. Dublin, spinster, died 5 Oct.1896
1905 Downes Henry of 3 Capel St. Dublin, commercial traveller, died 24 Dec.1899*
Administration (Limited) granted to Joseph Abbott land agent
www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014914/005014914_00073.pdf

*according to death registration he was born c1861

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 July 15 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Mad

Am I reading this right in that you are trying to connect these two women to your tree based just on their surname and location ?

Have you any other reason to believe that they may be related ?

Tara

Offline MAD87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 July 15 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hallmark: Going to the LR isn’t really an option when you live and work in the middle of France, but I might persuade a cousin to pay a visit.

Aghadowey: Yes, I have that one. I wondered if it was her as she’d either be very old in 1899 or a very young landlady in the 1840/50s.

Taramcdsmall: You have it in one. Same name, same location, with the added factor of one of the daughters of great-grandfather being named Harriett, a name with no history in the known families. A weak research basis, but when you’re running out of ideas, any daft basis will do. Or maybe Harriet(t) was name of the year?
Quigley - Kildare, Laois

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 July 15 10:02 BST (UK) »
Perhaps it would be useful if you post ALL the details you already have so that we don't waste time searching for information you already have found. Then we can either find more information or make suggestions.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MAD87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 July 15 10:21 BST (UK) »
Voilà:

From our family website https://sites.google.com/site/downesofdublin/home

III. Catherine Downes born 26 March, 1872 in Cloghran, Dublin, Baptised 02.04.1872 in the parish of Swords. Birth sponsors: John & Eliza Sharkey. Catherine died 17.12.1887 in Meath Hospital, Dublin
IV. Harriett Downes born 19 June 1874 in Windmill Hill, near Killenard, Maryborough, Queen's Co. Died 8.10.1883 in St Michael’s Hospital Kingstown (Dun Laoghaire) of pneumonia.

The Misses Downes: Harriet, Killester 1847, 1848 & 1850; Charlotte, 15, The Crescent, Clontarf, 1848;
Pettigrew’s 1847 lists Miss Downes, Killester
Misses Downes, 33 Charles street, Great (Lewis 1850)

Patrick Downes, Stockhole, Cloghran will 1837; lease 1925

Wilsons 1830
 Downes and Sons, Grocers, 80, low. Camden-slreet. , ^ Downes (Eliza) Printer and Stationer, 2, Whitefriar-streeU Downes (J.) Perfumer, 38, Nassau-street. Downes (Maria) Stay and Corset-maker, 29, Aungtefstreet.: Downs (John) Mineral-water-manufacturer, 11, Crampton-coua-t.

Various Downes in Treble Almanac 1804, 1822 and 1832

1912   Joseph Downes   Strand House STRAND ROAD   Inhabitant or ratepayer   [No division recorded]   Clontarf East
Quigley - Kildare, Laois

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 July 15 10:25 BST (UK) »

In loving memory of, Alderman William Graham. J.P., The Strand House, Clontarf,
died, 2nd July 1903, aged, 61 years.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.