Author Topic: St Winnow - Sophia Adams - who were her parents?  (Read 4778 times)

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
St Winnow - Sophia Adams - who were her parents?
« on: Saturday 18 July 15 15:20 BST (UK) »
And here I am - back again.  ;D

10 years ago when I was doing my Stephens line from St Winnow in Cornwall, I came across two marriages that had me confused. Sophia Adams married to Thomas Stephens in 1827 and her parents were listed in the IGI as Joseph Adams and Joan Morish. They were married in 1802.

And Thomas Stephens parents were listed as James Stephens and Charity Adams, married in 1785 - at least one or two generations earlier. I figured that Charity and Sophia were related in some way but did not follow that up.

Last week I discovered the Philimore Marriages for St Winnow were online and as I read through them looking for Stephens', I came across this marriage - Joseph Stephens married to Joan Morish in 1802

So I need to know for sure. I have a Joseph stephens married to Joan Morish in 1802 and a Joseph adams also married to Joan Morish also in 1802. Which one is correct?

Which set of parents is right for Sophia adams and how were Charity and Sophia Adams actually related? And remember that they both married a Stephens....

This is all pre-registration but St Winnow has very good records. I have OPR baptisms for St winnow from 1705 to 1850, plus the Philimore marriages from early 1600s to 1812.

I have also been given some marriages from st winnow 1812 to 1837 from David Coppins, the OPC for St Winnow.

Thanks for any help you can give or information you can confirm.  :)

BD
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: St Winnow - Sophia Adams - who were her parents?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 July 15 21:35 BST (UK) »
Freereg has the following:

Place   St Winnow, Cornwall
Marriage Date   22 Oct 1802
Joseph  STEPHENS
Occupation      Yeoman
Bride    Joan   MORISH

Can you remember whether the IGI was a submitted record? If so it may not be correct.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 July 15 22:06 BST (UK) »
Cornwall FHS has the marriage to Joseph Stephens as does the OPC database.

The scans of Cornwall registers on FamilySearch have only some burials for St Winnow.

There was a John Adams who married in the parish 7 Jun 1802, he was also a yeoman.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 July 15 22:09 BST (UK) »
The John Adams who married on the 7th June 1802 married Ann Penrose according to Freereg.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 July 15 22:40 BST (UK) »
Sophia Stephens was buried 6 Dec 1885 aged 82.

1851 census in St Winnow has her father Joseph Adams aged 75 living with them. Their neighbours are Thomas Stephens aged 81 & his 77 year old wife Jane. HO107/1904 folio 15 pg 1

Possible marriage for this couple
Thomas Stephens & Jennifer Stephens 9 May 1790 in St Winnow, groom was of St Dennis at the time.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 09:06 BST (UK) »
So I will have to go with the 1851 census and have Joseph Adams and Joan Morish as Sophia's parents.

Joseph Adams turns out to be the sister of Charity Adams, who married James Stephens in 1785. Joseph and Charity's parents were Thomas Adams and Mary Cheley who were married in 1763.

The John Adams who married Ann Penrose is another brother to both Joseph and Charity and therefore a daughter of Thomas Adams and Mary chely.

Now I still need to find out who Joseph Stephens married and even which one he is. I have several Joseph Stephens' in my family tree, but none of them fit the age to be married in 1802.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 July 15 17:31 BST (UK) »
Thomas Adams was buried in St Winnow 9 March 1825noted as aged 82 & of Lanlivery. The Cornwall Record Office have his will ref AP/A/1153 Will of Thomas Adams yeoman of Lanlivery 1825.
The records office also has a lease for Tredethick, St Winnow from 1793 on three lives which mentions Thomas Adams and his 15 year old daughter Mary. This tenement was part of Polscoath Manor. Thomas was on the rent roll for Polscoath in 1811.

You can get a copy of the will from the archives by post

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/community-and-living/records-archives-and-cornish-studies/enquiry-and-copy-services/

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 July 15 23:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that, Osprey. That was new information about his death date I did not have before. :)

Offline kayos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 July 18 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I discovered CHARITY ADAMS (born Saint Winnow c. 1764-1766) when I was researching  the ADAMS connection to the HARRIS family, through CHARITY's  sister REBEKAH ADAMS born 1771. This thread has been most helpful in establishing names, dates and places - even if I end up eliminating this particular family as not being that of our REBECCA  ADAMS.   I note that this particular family don't seem to show on the Cornwall Parish Records page, but there's quite a full family tree on Family Search (LDS) site.  There are some discrepancies, but it's clear that CHARITY is the daughter of THOMAS and MARY as her youngest child is called Henry CHEALY STEPHENS - a nod to her mother MARY's maiden name, given as CHELEY in the parish records (that one is available on the Cornish Parish Register site). There are a few REBECCA ADAMS who could be the mother of my ancestress GRACE ADAMS (born Trewen, 1792), and it certainly is a detective's job to reduce  and eliminate the non-likely contenders.