Author Topic: St Winnow - Sophia Adams - who were her parents?  (Read 4777 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Winnow - Sophia Adams - who were her parents?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 July 18 13:13 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mci/

this is the will for Thomas Adams. It names

wife Catherine
son Thomas
son Joseph & his son Thomas
son Henry
son John & his son John
grandchildren Andrew, Henry, John, Richard & Mary Stephens, children of James Stephens (married Charity)
grandchildren Thomas, William, Mary & Rebecca Littleton children of his deceased daughter Rebecca, wife of William Littleton
daughter Catherine, married to William Bersy and their daughter Charity
daughter Mary wife of William Penrose

St Winnow hasn't as yet been transcribed in full but some of the family events are on the opc database and you can contact the opc to ask for records to be checked

http://www.opc-cornwall.org/Par_new/t_z/winnow_st.php
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline kayos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 July 18 22:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information - that explains why I can't check my possible ancestors' details  from St Winnow details on the OPC site.

I'm checking if the details you gave me are my direct ancestors' details - which is all part of my process of elimination.  There seems to be a THOMAS ADAMS who married CATHERINE PEARCE, in 1741,   and a THOMAS ADAMS (son of Thomas and Catherine, maybe?) who married MARY CHELEY at St Winnow in 1763. 

THOMAS and MARY also had a daughter REBEKAH (although spelling is probably irrelevant) baptised 1 January, 1771, and I'm trying to establish if she is the REBECCA ADAMS mother of GRACE ADAMS, born Trewen, 1792 - there being no father mentioned at the baptism, although one identified through banns but no subsequent marriage for our REBECCA.

I'm also researching a REBECCA  from an ADAMS family from St Mellion, but am particularly interested in the St Winnows connection as I am trying to find a connection to a DNA match who has a CATHERINE ADAMS born St Winnow in 1800 in their ancestry. 

I have most of my St Winnow details from LDS Family Search.

From LDS, I found a family tree for REBECCA LITTLETON, born ADAMS. This indicates she was born at Luxulyan 5th April, 1779.  There is also a burial of  REBECCA ADAMS  in the Luxulyan records for 17 October 1779, with no further identifying details.  I had assumed the death was of the baby REBECCA born in April - until I found her marriage to LITTLETON. 

I'm sure they must all be connected, one way or another.  Thanks again.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 July 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
the Thomas whose will I linked was buried in St Winnow 9 March 1825 aged 82 abode Lanlivery. So definitely not the one who married in 1741. His wife was Catherine so possible marriage in Lanlivery
Thomas Adams, yeoman, of Lanlivery & Catherine Cundy of St Winnow 9 March 1795.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mcl/

From FreeReg, Rebecca Adams married William Littleton by licence 12 Dec 1800 in Lanlivery. She was baptised 1 Jan 1771 in St Winnow dau of Thomas, no mother mentioned not unusual at this time. I haven't spotted her burial as yet, daughter Rebecca Adams Littleton bp 12 Nov 1806 in Lanlivery.

Charity Adams married James Stephens 15 June 1785 in St Winnow, she was baptised in St Winnow 6 March 1764 dau of Thomas & Mary.

Thomas Adams married Mary Cheley 13 Nov 1763 in St Winnow and was baptised 31 May 1742 son of Thomas & Catherine.

I wouldn't worry about spelling of names at this time. The spelling is down to the cleric recording it and it can vary. There's no one site that has all the records, so try using OPC, FreeReg, Family Search and Findmypast has transcripts of some of the Cornwall Family History Society records.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 July 18 16:53 BST (UK) »
looking at your Rebecca, there are 2 baptisms in Trewen

Grace Petherick Adams bp 12 Aug 1792
Ann Adams bp 5 Oct 1800 and buried 7 Oct 1800

I think it's unlikely that the Rebecca with 2 illegitimate daughters in Trewen would be the one from the well-heeled family from some distance away in Lanlivery/St Winnow

https://cornish-forefathers.co.uk/images/parishes/parishes_map2.png

How have you identified her father from banns? All that is recorded in banns is their parish, marital status, and the dates of the 3 readings. Do you mean the parish record of the marriage?

The Prerogative court of Canterbury will from 1783 of Thomas Adams, father of Thomas, is on Ancestry. It mentions
son John
son Joseph deceased, his daughters Catherine & Elizabeth with wife Mary who had married Henry Cossentine of St Veep by the time of the will. ( Joseph Adams married Mary Stephens 18 Aug 1771 in St Winnow)
son Thomas & his son (unnamed)
sister Mary Manal
daughter Rebecca, wife of Phillip Thomas
daughter Grace, wife of John Thomas

There's a baptism in St Winnow 5 Nov 1801 for a Catherine Adams, daughter of John & Ann

Offline kayos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 July 18 09:27 BST (UK) »
Oh Wow, Thank you so much for all your research and help. It's very much appreciated. 

According to my amateur detective work, Rebecca  Adams of Trewen was the mother of Grace Petherick - as per parish baptism register, 15 August,1892. Petherick may have been given as baby Grace's surname  as a nod to impending legitimacy, or a middle name as an acknowledgement of the father.  I believe this is most likely the Grace Adams who married James Harris at St Juliot, 15 July, 1818.

Interestingly, there is a record (photo image, Family Search) of the banns being called between Rebecca Adams of Trewen and William Petherick of Treneglos, in the month before Grace's birth . . . but there is no evidence of an eventual marriage. 

Further, I have found a photo image record (Family Search) of the banns being called between (most likely our) Rebecca  and Robert Hancock of Trewen in 1799/1800 (no date given)  - but at least 9 months before the birth - and death - of baby Anne in October, 1800 - who was baptised as Ann Adams.  No mention of the father again in the baptism records, and no evidence of  a subsequent marriage between Rebecca and Robert.   I found an image (Family Search) of a marriage licence between Peter Darton and a Rebecca Adams (1805) of the St Stephens by Saltash parish - and no evidence of the actual marriage again, so if that's our Rebecca, she does seem to be a recidivist fiancee . . .  Interesting to speculate the story behind those details.

The  family of Thomas Adams and Mary Cheley from St Winnows (Family Search) have a Rebecca who fits the necessary criteria - I'm just not able to find out what happened to her post-baptism. 

I'm wondering if she's the sister of Charity Adams, and Joseph Adams (father of the Sophie Adams in the title of this post). 

There's another Adams family from St Mellion - with  a Rebecca and two other daughters who had illegitimate children - so there's another possibility. 

It's very easy to mix up the members of the different families - with so many similar names, places and dates!
Many thanks again. You have been a great help. I  shall continue to tease this out. 

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 July 18 20:22 BST (UK) »
I'd already mentioned that Rebecca, daughter of Thomas & Mary, married William Littleton 12 Dec 1800 in Lanlivery. Thomas makes bequests to her children, Thomas, William, Mary & Rebecca, referring to them as the children of his late daughter Rebecca deceased, so she died before he wrote his will, 22 Feb 1825.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01md5/

Parish marriage entry for your Grace, no mention of father's name as is the norm at that time. One of the witnesses, Joseph Heals, signs on a few marriages on the page so may have been the parish clerk.

The 1805 marriage appears to have taken place in St Stephens by Saltash. It was by Licence. Cornwall FHS show Peter's surname as Darton opc database has Dartin
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=marriages&id=1396587
The marriage did take place, otherwise the church would not have known about the licence.