Author Topic: Meath Catholic Parishes early 1800  (Read 4834 times)

Offline alig4

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Meath Catholic Parishes early 1800
« on: Sunday 19 July 15 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

First time posting in the Meath section so not sure if this is something that may have been covered but can't see anything ..

My questions really is to those that have experience of the areas - I am researching a family that travelled from Meath to Dublin in the late 1830's.

The family starts with John Mahon and Bridget Cowley who married in Moynalvey, Meath in 1833 -they have 2 children Patrick (1834) and Thomas (1836) in Meath then 2 children Christopher (1838) and Simon (1842) Clontarf, Dublin.

The couple married in Moynalvey but the first 2 children were born in Kilmessan - would there be any explanation for that?

I have spoken to the parish priest from Moynalvey a while back and he said he didn't believe that the couple were from that parish as he couldn't find baptisms or anything for them in the parish registers - leading me to believe that they were born elsewhere - the only place I find anyone called John Mahon and Bridget Cowley is in Oldcastle.

My understanding is that Oldcastle is possibly the "original" parish in Meath but I have literally the tiniest bit of knowledge about the area.

I've come to the conclusion that Johns father is probably called Patrick as his first son is too, and I find one birth that is likely the right age in 1810 to a Patrick Mahon and Mary Devine, this couple have a couple of children and give there address at a time as "Boolies" not sure if that helps at all.

Basically - to get to the point... would there be any explanation for the parish hopping I assumed maybe that Bridget was pregnant at the time of her marriage so they avoided getting Patrick baptised in their local parish to avoid shame but then why go to another parish again?

Sorry this is lenghty but any info would be most appreciated
Searching: Mahon, Cowley, Kinsella/Gilshenan, Nugent, Kelly, Lynn,
Dublin-Liverpool

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Meath Catholic Parishes early 1800
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 July 15 20:12 BST (UK) »
It may simply be that they had both gone to the parish for work, married there and then moved on.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Meath Catholic Parishes early 1800
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 15 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Alig

John was a labouring gardener.

It would be a very simple matter of him moving for work.

As they married in Moynalty (I presume there was a typo in your post) it's possible that this was Bridget's parish BUT it's possible that she was transient too.

I would be hesitant about claiming any Mahons / Crowleys in the areas that you mentioned.

Given the time period, and their transient nature, for now, we can't be sure where exactly John & Bridget originated.

Tara