Author Topic: Dolans of Kings County  (Read 12417 times)

Offline MikeD1967

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dolans of Kings County
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 13:46 BST (UK) »
I've just clicked on both the 'Ireland - Select Births and Batisms' list on Ancestry which lists 99 John Dolans born in Ireland from 1868-1870 of which only one was born in Kings (in 1869) and on the 'Ireland Civil Registrations Births' list which lists the registration district and lists 53 John Dolans. Of those born in 1869 none of the districts listed are in Kings.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 14:08 BST (UK) »
The problem with such a search is that you are starting with an estimated year of birth that could easily be incorrect by a few years. He could have been born before the start of civil registration (1864) or, as can be the case before 1870, his birth might not have been registered.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MikeD1967

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 14:53 BST (UK) »
Absolutely. I'm fully aware that I may never be able to find out any more than I know already.

Offline MikeD1967

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 10 August 15 20:16 BST (UK) »
Well here's me thinking my Dad was hardly ever wrong about anything, it turns out he was wrong about his grandma's maiden name, wasn't even close in fact, she was Ellen Jackman, not Ellen Reddington so goodness knows where Reddington came from.

I've checked the BMD records on the link someone put up when I first posted and there's a marriage in Salford in 1897 between John Dolan and Ellen Jackman which I think I can safely assume is my g grandparents.

I've just ordered a copy of the marriage certificate.

Offline MikeD1967

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 August 15 20:09 BST (UK) »
I've got the marriage certificate which gives John Dolan as the father of the groom.

This adds weight to my supposition that his father was the John Dolan (and his Mother Margaret Carroll) in Shinrone but I still don't know how to prove it.

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 18:35 BST (UK) »
No I don't have the marriage certificate. I only know that Ellen's maiden name was Reddington as I can remember my dad telling me once, and the 1911 census asked how long a couple had been married.

Family lore is notoriously unreliable. One of my aunts thought her grandmother (died 1895) was named Dixon but it turned out she was Ferns.