Author Topic: 1930s Hove directory look-up please: Seymour or Husted  (Read 3309 times)

Offline JocelynP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1930s Hove directory look-up please: Seymour or Husted
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 January 17 10:47 GMT (UK) »
My brother found your post when trawling the web. Herbert Seymour Husted was our grandfather. I am interested to know who you are and any connection.

We never knew  Herbert as he died in 1944.  The facts you have agree with those that I have, but we are Herbertís second family. I have done some research as family information was sparse and relatives  were dead.
Herbert and his mother Lilias Jane left New York the year after Herbertís father William Henry Husted died( 1890) and settled in England. There are war records for Henry in the Boar War as a militia officer.  I believe you are correct that he married Margaret Blyth in Liverpool and they had two daughters, Violet and Katherine. I have found nothing more about them but I know that Herbert left that family and settled his grandmotherís inheritance on them in 1911. In December 1910 Herbert changed his name by deedpole to Herbert Seymour.
He met our grandmother Alice when she was a nurse and they had three children, our father Trevor (born 1916), Audrey and Roy.  Towards the end of Herbertís life the family lived in a flat at 30 Holland Road , Hove above a bank. Herbert died in 1944 while my father was on war service abroad.
We have done some research and have quite a lot of information on the family roots in USA but very little on their life in England and the possibility of family connections. We would be interested to find out more.
Jocelyn (nee Seymour)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 January 17 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat,
Ainslie should get a notification of your reply so with luck will answer you soon.    If not then if you reply to this it should activate our personal message system and you can make contact by clicking on the letter icon under the user name and following instructions.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 18:56 GMT (UK) »
No notification received but I have found the message and will reply when I have put something together.

Ainslie

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jocelyn

I am a descendant of Margaret Blyth's younger sister who was my grandmother.  Margaret was born in 1869, 7th child of John Blyth, a Scot who came to Liverpool, ran a corn mill and later was a successful grain merchant.
As stated earlier in this thread, Margaret and HSH were married in 1903.   She died in London in 1954.  They had two daughters, first Katherine Doreen, born in Herefordshire in 1904, died in London unmarried in 1973.  Second was Violet Marion, born in Somerset in 1906.  Violet married Hugh Wakefield, actor, in 1931.  They had one daughter, Margaret, born 1934, died 2015, leaving a family.

I can go into more detail about the Blyths.  When you have made a couple more posts on this forum we can exchange email details (which should not be posted here).

Ainslie

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 10:51 GMT (UK) »
No notification received but I have found the message and will reply when I have put something together.

ainslie, you had your email notifications turned off, if they are turned off we have now way of letting your know of new replies on your messages. I have just turned them back on for you if this is not your wish I can turn them off for you.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 13:01 GMT (UK) »
OK, thanks Sarah.
A

Offline JocelynP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 January 17 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ainslie
Great to hear your information on the Blyth family and that there are family.  Are you in touch with them?  We have very little information about Herbert's life after he came to UK in 1890's so anything more will be great.  I look forward to being able to email.
Jocelyn

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 January 17 12:29 GMT (UK) »
I have had no contact with the surviving descendants, as my correspondence was only with Margaret, over several years before her death.
It was through my research that she learned of the Husted link, and there has been no follow-up from her family in the two years since.
If you acknowledge this on the forum, I think I should then be able to make contact through the personal message system and can pass on more.
A

Offline JocelynP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 January 17 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ainslie
I am very interested to hear more.
Jocelyn