Author Topic: Liverpool Mariner  (Read 1453 times)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Liverpool Mariner
« on: Tuesday 21 July 15 10:57 BST (UK) »
 The attached photographs are believed to be of my great grandfather, Thomas Brown (c1831 in Boston - 1903 in Liverpool).

The left-hand picture is by Foulds and Hibberd which is said to have been established in the Liverpool area in the 1890s.

The right-hand picture is by Brown Barnes Bell of 31 Bold Street, Liverpool, which existed at that address from c1877.

I can't find him in 1841 or 1851 but he is shown as a mariner when he married in 1856 and from 1861 to 1901. Because the name is so common, I have been unable to find any record of him as a mariner. I would therefore be very grateful for any help regarding the uniform and L.B.L. on his cap. There is an existing, but recently established, company of that name in Liverpool.

Regards,
David

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Mariner
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 11:28 BST (UK) »
LBL could be the Liverpool Bristol & London Steamship Company.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 21:30 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Shaun,

That seems to be the most likely answer. I can't find out very much about it, except in newspaper advertisements. In the 1860s it is known as the Liverpool, Bristol and London General Steam Navigation company.

Later, the name is the Liverpool, Bristol and London Steamship Company or Steam-Packet Company.

I have also found a book which seems to describe the same company in the 1860s as F.H. Powell & Company, although it is listed as an agent in the adverts.

Many thanks again,

David

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,,,Findmypast appear to have 1 record.

Thomas Brown b 1830  Boston,Lincolnshire

date range  1853-1857

series bt116
piece number 12

the image just states his name,where born,,,then lists a couple of ships names and years    the first being 1856  the ship is the "OLIVIA"  of Liverpool.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 10:13 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your message.

It looks as though I had seen that before but couldn't find it the other day, so thanks for the detail.

The second ship looks like the Tamarac. It gives its origin as Hull but there are records of one of that name from Liverpool. It ran aground in 1837 but is listed again in 1855 - possibly saved or the name given to a new ship.

Regards,

David

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 13:58 BST (UK) »
The three rings visible on his cuff probably indicate that he was a Chief Officer or First Mate at the time, though Merchant Marine/Navy companies varied widely in their insignia.  Many men of that rank had passed exams for a Master's Certificate, so it should be possible to find more.
The straight lines of the rings are based on the Royal Navy's equivalent: Commander.  The MN later used different patterns from the RN.
A

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 July 15 14:26 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Ainslie,

I have searched through the database of certificates on Ancestry but nothing has come to light. Perhaps it is incomplete or some are missing.

Regards,

David