Author Topic: Where Am I? No. 176 - Another Bridge  (Read 2151 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Where Am I? No. 176 - Another Bridge
« on: Tuesday 21 July 15 15:22 BST (UK) »
Looks like the other bridge that's not identified, but I don't think it is the same (I could be wrong though!).

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where Am I? No. 176 - Another Bridge
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 18:35 BST (UK) »
I thought so at first when I opened the link, but sadly no.

The topline of the bridge is a different shape, for one thing. I also think the original photo might show a weir rather than a series of natural falls.

Mike

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 19:10 BST (UK) »
So close...I think this is in the same area of the other bridge...find one...you find them both.
I can't help feeling that they are both in the Lake District.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 14:48 BST (UK) »
Could it be on the River Dove?

Do I recall that there was a photo in the Buxton area?    I think it looks like the river near to the road between Buxton and Macclesfield.

It may be close to WAI  152
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 15:38 BST (UK) »
Could be - I was looking at Three Shire Head in the Peak District last night. I don't think that's the one though
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Shire_Heads

I agree with Mike, it's more of a little weir rather than a waterfall in the foreground
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 21:38 BST (UK) »
As in my attempt at the other bridge,even though only one arch is in view,I think it's worth considering a two arch bridge,this time Millthrop Bridge,which appears to have a weir.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fr5/

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8028/7176209241_cba0519e17.jpg

Regards
Roger

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 July 15 15:58 BST (UK) »
Bumping this one back to page 1.

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 November 23 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Here's a blast from the past - but don't get too excited, as I haven't solved it.

While looking for something else earlier I came across a site dedicated to Yorkshire waterfalls, and it reminded me of this. I spent a pleasant time going through the A-Z list (https://yorkshirewaterfalls.blogspot.com/2015/08/a-z-of-waterfalls-in-yorkshire.html), but didn't spot an exact match. The closest I saw was Stainforth Force (and bridge), as Barbara suggested above. And it may be that this isn't really a waterfall so much as a minor change in level, so it might not be on that site anyway. However, it got me wondering...

First, is it possible to tell where the sun might be shining from? (Assuming this is the UK, this might indicate whether the river is flowing to the east or the west.) The trees show that it's summer, so the sun could be quite high; I think it might be somewhere to the left, suggesting it's flowing eastwards, but I'm not certain of this.

Second, can anyone work out the geology of the place? Is it similar to Aysgarth Falls, but on a smaller scale, where there are alternate layers of hard limestone and soft shale, leading to a series of 'steps' in the river bed? (See https://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/about/wildlife/places-to-see-wildlife/aysgarth-falls/) Or is the ledge a small man-made weir? (Something else I saw mentioned the Whin Sill of Durham and Northumberland, but as far as I can see, that's tens of meters thick and gives rise to much bigger waterfalls.)

Looking back at this thread it seems it never really got going, so 8 years on, I wonder if there are any fresh insights.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson