Author Topic: MCKAY in Ontario  (Read 5355 times)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
MCKAY in Ontario
« on: Tuesday 21 July 15 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am interested in finding some relatives by marriage who came from Argyll, Scotland to Ontario, Canada some time after WW1.

My great uncle's sister-in-law, Christina DUNCAN, (b. Sept. 28, 1882 at Dron, Perthshire) married George MCKAY on January 23, 1914 at Kilmore and Kilbride, Argyll, Scotland. George was a furnace man in the aluminium works near their home in Kinlochleven. I wonder if he went to Hamilton, Ontario where he could get similar work at the time?

Christina was the daughter of John DUNCAN and Christina CRICHTON. George was the son of John MCKAY and Margaret MURRAY.

Christina's sister, Agnes DUNCAN, had married Hugh MCGREGOR in Scotland and immigrated to western Canada about 1919. When Agnes and Hugh retired, they moved east to Ontario, where their son, John MCGREGOR, lived in Downsview. Agnes was not in the big city long, it seems, before she was struck by a car and killed. Sometime before her death (1950s??), she and her sister Christina had a visit. After that, contact with the MCKAYs was lost.

Looking for any connections to these MCKAYs in Ontario as we are in Ontario too. Thank you!
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: MCKAY in Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 18:30 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

There is a George McKay and a Mrs, McKay in Hamilton through the years from 1935 to the mid-1970s. I dont know if this is your ancestor though?

have you located the passenger lists for this pair?

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 20:26 BST (UK) »
Deleted passenger list entry - probably not them but the remainder of information looks correct

Have you located an obituary for Agnes which may mention Christina and give details of where she was living ? Notice ancestry tree says Agnes died 1947 and a son Robert McGregor died 1952 Alberta.  Perhaps this is the entry for Robert Angus McGregor born 1927 -

FIND A GRAVE

Burial Lake View Cemetery  Stettler Wainwright Census Division Alberta.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=118280186&ref=acom

Son John McGregor born in Argyllshire, Scotland on 8 Nov 1916 died 1979 Toronto (married to A - now aged 94 years and believed to be still living) - perhaps an obituary for John might also help the search.
Nancy married Archibald Mclean - Archibald could have died Feb 1997 Vermilion Alberta.
Couple possibly had 3 children.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 03:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you folks!

Sandra, this must be a different Hugh and Agnes MCGREGOR, I think. Our pair went first to western Canada (circa 1920??) and farmed out there for maybe 30 years before retiring and travelling east to Ontario. Their children were Hugh, John, George, Robert and Nancy. No Lilian. You have the correct Robert MCGREGOR, who died young ... not sure if it was in an accident? Likely Agnes did die about 1947, but I'm not certain. I have never had any luck navigating the Toronto Star archives! Yes, I do remember when Agnes' son, John MCGREGOR, died in 1979. His wife, Amy that you mention, is still living today and is 94 I believe!

JDC, thank you for that. I am betting Hamilton, ON would be a likely place to find them too. No, I have no passenger record for them as I have no real idea about when they may have immigrated.
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 04:24 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,

you can check for ontario burials at www.ocfa.com. Hope that helps.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 10:58 BST (UK) »
Been a long search - 2004 posts  :'(

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CANADA-GENWEB/2004-09/1094743010

Have you got the place and birth dates for those McGregor children ? Were they born in Scotland or Canada ? Might help us find the immigration date.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 11:13 BST (UK) »
Using 1 credit - Scotlands people seems to show a possible birth for a George Crichton MacGregor in 1920

1920 MacGregor George Crichton  -  Male -  KILBERRY /ARGYLL 533/02 0002

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 11:24 BST (UK) »
Agnes MacGregor aged 36 years and born Lyndrum travels Glasgow Scotland to Quebec on the Marloch arriving 3 May 1925 - accompanied by JOhn aged 8 years born Kilberry, George 5 years born Kilberry, Hugh aged 2 years born KIlberry and daughter Agnes Isabella aged 5 months born Achnaba. Going to husband Hugh Macgregor, Box 147 Kitscoty, Alta. Mother Mrs Duncan, Appin Argyllshire.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hugh MacGregor shows on Canada Oceans Arrivals Form 30 A. Hugh aged 38 years born Argyllshire, Scotland travelling Glasgow to Quebec on the Marburn. Purpose - to make a home. Destined to Colonization Dept - CPR - Winnipeg Manitoba. Nearest relative - Dugald and Margaret MacGregor. Ballyourigans Farm. Argyllshire.

Sandra