Author Topic: General questions about the Haggart family  (Read 14164 times)

Offline Scottleneveu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
General questions about the Haggart family
« on: Tuesday 21 July 15 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I have been doing my family research for some time now but I am still pretty new to it all :)

Basically I'm just looking for anyone related to the Haggart families of Scotland in particular the Haggarts of Fife, but I'm interested in hearing from anyone who is a Haggart or is related to one as you never know where or how you might find a link and I'm at somewhat of a dead end with my searches at the moment.

Also anybody with any information on the Haggart name itself would be greatly welcomed. I'm interested in the origins of the name as I've heard many different stories as to where it's from, I.E. It's a variant of Mctaggart and a variant of Haggarty but if anyone has any evidence of anything I'd love to hear from you!

All the best and happy searching,

Scott

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: General questions about the Haggart family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 20:55 BST (UK) »
My sister in law's mother is a Haggart and I've done some limited research on them.
Her family was in Cupar around mid / late 19th C.  Previously they were from Abernethy in Perthshire.  Other areas the family resided in were Redgorton / Luncarty and surrounding area.

As you don't mention dates or any specific names I'm unable to draw any comparisons.

I have no info re the origin of the name but as with most surnames there are variations that I've come across.
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline Scottleneveu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hello and thank you for contacting me!

Well my grandfather was David Haggart and he was born in Cowdenbeath I believe in 1922. His father was David Nicol Bruce Haggart and he was born in 1895 in Laurencekirk. I also have a couple of generations in Markinch.

I believe that a lot of the family moved to Brechin and perhaps there's some of them still there now, but I don't know.

I hope to hear from you again,

Scott

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 July 15 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've come across that line previously but never found a connection to my in-laws family.

I have a few notes on them:

David NB Haggart 1895 Laurencekirk
Robert Haggart b6 Sep 1872 m Annie Bruce
Robert Inglis Haggart bc1840 - d29 May 1900 - m1862 Kinross, Margaret Nicoll

The death record for Robert showed parents as David Haggart / Janet Crockett.
The marriage record showed parents as David Haggart / Mary Crocket

I never located birth for Robert

There was a marriage in Alyth in 1825 between a David Haggard and Mary Crockat
I found no marriage to a Janet

Other children to David / Mary (from Family Search / LDS).... David 1826, Mary 1828, Jean 1831, William 1835, James 1837.

David and Mary would appear to be correct names as this is backed up by the names in the 1841 and 1851 census records in Markinch:

David Haggart    41
Mary Haggart    35
David Haggart    14
Mary Haggart    12
Jean Haggart    10
Willm B Haggart    5
John Haggart    3
James Haggart    3
Robert I Haggart    1

David Haggart    50
Mary Haggart    48
David Haggart    24
Mary Haggart    22
Jane Haggart    20
John Haggart    13
James Haggart    13
Robert Haggart    11

My notes are sketchy after that and I seem to have abandoned the search, having decided that there was no connection at that time to my in-laws.  There could of course be a more distant connection.

Variations I've come across have been Hag(g)art, Hag(g)ard, Heggart(y), Hoggart(y), Hog(g)arth and a few other obscure spellings.

That's all I have but I hope it helps.

For reference, my in-laws line is:
Mother in law (living)
David Walker Haggart b1872 d1955 m(1) Eliz Bowie m(2) Agnes Wardrop Hamilton
Andrew Haggart b1839 Abernethy m Helen Milly
William Haggart b1793 Abernethy m Mary Walker
John Haggart bc1770 m Margaret White

-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline Scottleneveu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 July 15 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hello again and sorry for my delayed reply :)

Thank you for the information that you have provided me with it has been very helpful.

I will keep an out out with the names that you gave regarding your family, chances are that I'll come across them at some point ( there doesn't seem to be that many Haggarts out there, unless I'm just being blind? ).

All the best,

Scott

Offline Wanda

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hello from Canada!

I am a Haggart, I too am looking to trace the family history.  James Haggart
b. 15 Sep 1773 married Janet (Jennet) McLeod b. 28 Jan 1778.   Their son, John Haggart b. 22 Jan 1802 p. Glengarry, Ontario, Canada, is my 3 times great grandfather.   This is all the info. I have, there are a few Haggart's here in Canada

Cheers!

Offline Mollyrobz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 January 16 19:29 GMT (UK) »
The Haggarts seem to of been in Scotland for centuries, in my opinion it just has to be a corruption of the Irish Haggarty. I went to school with a girl from Dublin and her surname was Haggarty, another Irish friend of mine said that apparently there is an old Irish name of ó hágairt which sometimes gets anglicised to Haggart or Heggert. I don't know if this is true or not though, it certainly seems plausible...
Molly

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 January 16 12:24 GMT (UK) »
The deaths register of my home parish of Kilrenny in Fife has an entry in 1838 - "Robert Haggart Mason, aged 36 years, died of consumption at Cellardyke, being only a few weeks in the parish ..."

Cellardyke is my native village and the main centre of population in Kilrenny. Despite the wording of that entry, the OPR shows that Robert Haggart married Alice Redpath in the parish in 1831. They had several children there, and others in Newcastle, a Redpath researcher tells me. As a journeyman mason Robert Haggart would have travelled around looking for work.

If he was 36 in 1838, he looks like the Robert born in 1802 at Perth to John Haggart and Ann Morrison.

Being a mason, he might have been related to James Haggart, stone mason, who was married to Catherine Duncan. I know their names from the death-certificate of their daughter Agnes Haggart who was married to David Spence, vintner at Kingsbarns in Fife. She died in 1874 aged 76. The census of 1871 gives her birthplace as Strathkinness in Fife.

Harry

Offline jscobbie

• RootsChat Extra
  • https://noisybrain.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 September 18 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Harry (hdw), you say "Being a mason, he might have been related to James Haggart, stone mason, who was married to Catherine Duncan. I know their names from the death-certificate of their daughter Agnes Haggart who was married to David Spence, vintner at Kingsbarns in Fife. She died in 1874 aged 76. The census of 1871 gives her birthplace as Strathkinness in Fife."

This Spence-Haggart couple and their decendants are in my current research, so anyone related do please get in touch. Their grandson John Daniel Spence is a notable figure in our family - a builder in St. Andrews.