Author Topic: Hurst Mystery California  (Read 8670 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hurst Mystery California
« on: Wednesday 22 July 15 08:44 BST (UK) »
James Hurst was  born in Co Fermanagh Ireland in 1852.  He went to America and  married Alice. He is shown on the 1892 and 1896 California Voters Registers and on the 1900 Census for San Francisco .From that I know he was married in 1889--likely California as she is from  there but I do not know her maiden name. Census also says he  Immigrated about 1877--but I  don't have a record. They have 4 living children Maybelle, James ,George and Willie ( William). So far straight forward but it is after James death in 1903 that things get complicated. There is picture of what is I think his Memorial at Cypress Lawn Cemetery but the name beneath his is Mary Ellen Hurst.Is this Alice or a second wife--or the wrong Hurst Family.
To confuse matters more the Cemetery lists only one Alice Hurst and she dies in 1935.
The 1910 Census lists Alice as Widowed with the 4 children but on the record on line is also written beneath her name that of  Mary Ellen. I can not find any  Alice Hurst with/without  any of the children after that  1910 census .
But I can trace  census records  for a Mary Ellen Hurst nee Kern up to her death in 1948.Maybelle was still with her in 1940. I don't know what happens to her --a popular name. There are quite a few records for the 3 boys on line .
 James marries M Frank and  dies 9 Jan 1969, and had 2 sons James Aitken and Thomas Aitken Hurst. Aiken would have been their Irish Grandmothers maiden name ( assuming I have the correct family) George died  28 July 1955  ---again records at Cypress Cemetery . He married Leona Giraud-unclear if he is  widowed or Divorced on the 1940 census. Don't find a record for her .
 On latter records he appears to be George Thomas Hurst. The youngest Child is William (Joe) Hurst and he died 23 June 1917 of Meningitis having only joined the Navy in May 1917. These middle names never showed up on the census returns but appear on other records,But I have crossed checked addresses so I know the children are related to each other  but who are the parents . Am I mixing up two families'.?? Would greatly appreciate help in solving this mystery.
Many Thanks .

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hurst Mystery California
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 10:54 BST (UK) »
I'm not finding that 1910 census entry - can you post a link please?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 12:31 BST (UK) »
The 1900 census show the name Alice Hurst with a name of Ellen Hurst below (in brackets) with no indication why.  This is not a transcription amendment because the original is clearly ALICE.  It also looks like Alice/Mary E is the mother of the children and not a stepmother because the 1910 census shows that she has had 5 children of whom one has died.

Have looked for both an Alice and a Mary E Kern born California on the 1870 & 1880 census but found none with parents born Pennsylvania.

On Georges 1917/1918 Draft card he shows that he was living with his mother at 2429 Franklin St., where Mary E was living on the 1920 census.

On Georges 1942 Draft card it shows his brother James as a person who will always know his address.

Georges marriage shows his mother has Mary E Kern, as does his death record and James death record.

Also James & his wife Mildreds grave is engraved on the same monument has his father & mother.

It really does look like this is the correct Hurst family but why the name Alice on 1900 census?

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 14:51 BST (UK) »
Thank You Ray. Like you I  think its the same family but it is confusing .

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 16:13 BST (UK) »
What great finds RJ137, and welcome to rootschat.  I think this is now pretty conclusive that this is one family regardless of the "Alice".

The other version of Kern (Kearn) is worth following.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 16:52 BST (UK) »
RJ137 - this is a great resource, never seen it before, thanks for sharing.

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 19:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the info. Much ties in but that about George is strange. The mother of Virginia was I thought Leona Giraud. But on the 1940 Census it does suggest he was divorced --so was there Evelyn J Hurst -- second wife. Both his sister and daughter seem to have moved a long way to Mass. Yet Sister dies in San fan .
Still confused about Alice .
Thank You