Author Topic: Hurst Mystery California  (Read 8659 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Hurst Mystery California
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 August 15 13:19 BST (UK) »
I will try to call the office on Tuesday.

I don't believe this has been mentioned?
Mary A Kearns (mother) is listed on George Thomas' Social Security (App & Claims) Index

Is there a possibility that Mary Ellen could have had the nickname of Alice/Allie?  Her name is Allie in 1889, Alice in 1900 and Allie in 1903 and after the passing of her husband, she is shown as Mary E.  After her husband passed away, perhaps she used her birth name (Mary)?  Perhaps Dalton was her first husband's name?   ???
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 August 15 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hello again. Yes that is my thinking-but cant prove it -my thinking is   she goes back to using her formal legal name perhaps to rent property etc.and then  continues to use it. 
The inclusion of the name Aitkin as middle names in her grandchildren make me think its the same family.The maiden name of  James ( d1903)mother  was Aitken. So many coincidences.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 August 15 16:24 BST (UK) »
While the year of birth is a little off, the death index for California has
Mary Ellen Hurst, 1 November 1861 - 12 April 1948

1900 San Francisco Census
Alice Hurst, Nov 1864
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 August 15 16:31 BST (UK) »
1887 San Francisco Directory
Mrs. M. E. Dalton, widow, r 130 Ivy Avenue

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 03 August 15 17:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you . V Interesting .

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 03 August 15 22:14 BST (UK) »

Also 1887 Directory
John Dalton, plumber, J. D. Welch, r. 130 Ivy Avenue

John may be John H., born June 1862, California.

Will research more later (unless someone else has a look around before I do).

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 02:00 BST (UK) »
I called the cemetery office; the staff was patient and very nice.  I explained "our" connection to James Hurst.  It appears that Alice Hurst may not be related.  I am not quoting what was said, but basically:

Individuals are buried in the plot owned? by the James Hurst Estate (I believe he originally purchased the plot).  There were 8 individuals interred in plot, which is ES-I, Lot-Section-Panel 163:  George Thomas, James, James (died 1969), Mary Ellen, Mildred, Thomas Aiken, William (all had the surname of Hurst), and Maybelle? Small (died 1967).

Not connected to the above plot:  Alice G Hurst was buried in 1935 and the plot was purchased(?) by her sister-in-law.  Since I did not have the s-i-l's name, understandably, the staff member could not tell me the name.  Alice was age 59 at the time of her passing.

I hope this helps.  Lisa

PS  You can view the names and dates of the Hurst individuals by viewing
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSiman=1&GScid=7927&GSfn=&GSln=hurst
http://www.webcemeteries.com/cypresslawn/search.asp
  Type Hurst, and search (ctrl & f) for ES-I

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 04:46 BST (UK) »

Mrs. M. E. Dalton is most likely not "your" Mary Ellen.

California voter reg, 1888
John Henry Dalton, age 25, born California, Plumber, 130 Ivy Avenue

1882 SF Directory
John H Dalton, plumber, r 19 1/2 Rausch

1880 SF Census
Mary E Dalton, age 40, Keeping House, born New York - parents born Ireland
John H, age 17, Apprentice to Plumber
Mary E, age 22, at home
Ellen, age 15, attending school
Margaret, age 12, attending school
All children born California; their father was born in Ireland

Same family as in 1880?
1870 SF Census
John Dalton, age 41?, Longshoreman, born Ireland
Mary, age 33, Keeping House, born Ireland
Mary, 15
Kate, 13
Rosa, 12
Abba, 10
John, 8
Nellie, 5
Marg't, 3
All children born California

1860 Benicia, Solano Co., California, 27 July 1860
John Dalton, age 31, Butcher, Ireland
Mary, age 23, Ireland
Mary E., age 5
Kate, age 2
Abby ?, age 5/12

:-\

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 06:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Lisa
Thank you so much for taking so much time and trouble over this. The fact that the Alice Hurst Buried there is most likely  not connected helps.
The other interesting thing with the names you supplied is that Thomas Aitkin Hurst is one of the Grandchildren mentioned above . We are clear this is the plot for James who died 1903 ---and the fact that a further 7 members were buried there really does suggest they are all the same family .
Very Many Thanks.