Author Topic: MCINTOSH, MCNICOL brickwalls galore in Petty, Inverness  (Read 13099 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MCINTOSH, MCNICOL brickwalls galore in Petty, Inverness
« on: Wednesday 22 July 15 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'll try to be brief! My grandmother is in her nineties. She gave me a family document about 6 years ago purporting to disseminate the origins of her Scottish family (her maiden name is Sinclair).

Long story short, the documents appear to be utterly wrong. They are unsourced and were typed by her aunt or great-aunt in the 50s. It seems to me that some very loose research was done and presented as fact at numerous family gatherings over the years- I've found multiple distant cousins with the same "proof" of our lineage. The lineage, no surprise, claims that my ancestor, Marjory McIntosh who immigrated to Canada in 1827, was the daughter of Duncan McIntosh, a laird, and his wife Agnes Dallas.

I have done a lot of research into this McIntosh of Castle Leathers family over the years and this is flatly untrue.

What I do know:
Marjory McIntosh was born in 1786 in Inverness (her tombstone and Canadian records support this). Parents unknown. Married in Petty, Inverness to Donald McNicol (alleged the Rev. with no evidence) on 24 Jan 1801 (parish records). Daughter Anne born and baptised 1802 in Petty (my ancestor) with witnesses Witnesses Alex McIntosh and James McNicol and married Angus Sinclair in Scotland before 1827 when the family immigrated. Angus's parentage, birthplace, and birth date are unknown (sadly...) but I know he died in 1830.

After Anne, Donald & Marjory McNicol had: Isabella, Marjory, Isabella, John, Margaret, and Sarah. I have found marriages for these kids in Canada and traced many of their descendants. All of the children immigrated with Marjory and Anne.

Donald McNicol died in 1826 or so, probably in Inverness, Scotland. Family document says he died while travelling to Jamaica to claim the McIntosh family fortune there (where did they get this stuff??). I don't really believe that but I have no means of disproving it. Nothing about Marjory suggests she was the daughter of nobility/gentry, but again, I can't disprove.

Marjory wrote several letters back home to her brother-in-law, James McNicol, farmer of Connage in Inverness. Connage is a small community also known as Fisherton within the parish of Petty.

I found a probable baptism for Donald and James to parents John and Isabella nee Fraser in Petty.

Link to the letters: http://www.elginogs.ca/Home/ancestor-indexes/online-publications/emigrants-letters-from-elgin-county-to-scotland-1831-1851

If anyone has any help for me whatsoever, you would have my eternal gratitude-- I am so frustrated by this family and would like to have something "real" to show my grandmother. I am looking for:
-parents of Marjory and Donald
-death of Donald
-birth of Angus Sinclair (may have been from somewhere else)
-lineage of these 2 families.

I would attach the documents about the purported origins but they're long and confusing- basically they suggest that Marjory is the sister of the chief of Clan Chattan (McIntosh) and daur. of Duncan McIntosh, laird of Castle Leathers. Says her husband was the Rev. Donald McNicol, an author. That person did exist but did not marry a Marjory McIntosh or even live in Inverness.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: MCINTOSH, MCNICOL brickwalls galore in Petty, Inverness
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 July 15 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Hilary,

I haven't looked myself but if you try the free search of wills on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk you may find something  ???

If of course you found anything it would cost credits to download but names, occupations & addresses are given sometimes other info. too prior to download  :P

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 July 15 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Hilary,

Not sure what info. you have searched and read but plenty here:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fr9/

Annie

ADDED....Variant of name MacKintosh

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 July 15 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I believe I have tried Scotland's People wills but will check again. Re: Castle Leathers and Google search. Believe me...I have spent probably 50 hours combing through all of that info. I definitely am not a descendant of Duncan Mackintosh of Castle Leathers. Wish I were, would make tracing things far easier... :(

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 July 15 17:32 BST (UK) »

Marjory McIntosh was born in 1786 in Inverness (her tombstone and Canadian records support this)

Is the date/age for her birth that consistent on records/census  ???

Just seems too precise really  :-\

I tried a search with Marjory/Margaret with father's name blank but with Ann for mother as her eldest daughter was Anne...........

Could this be her born 1780, Petty, Mother Ann, Father John

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYDP-JVX

Annie

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 July 15 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Ammack, thanks for searching for me!

I know for sure she was Marjory, not Margaret because she signed her letters home "Marjory," it is on her marriage record in 1801, her tombstone says Marjory, and census records say Marjory.

I am getting the precise birth date from her tombstone which gives her age to the exact year, month, and day, and also from census records which give her birth date as around 1785/6.

I found an ancestry tree listing a Marjory McIntosh as daughter of a Sir James Macintosh and Ann Fraser (names make sense) but have no clue how the tree builder arrived at that info and am loathe to trust another unsourced tree...

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 July 15 11:03 BST (UK) »
What I do know:
Marjory McIntosh was born in 1786 in Inverness (her tombstone and Canadian records support this). Parents unknown. Married in Petty, Inverness to Donald McNicol on 24 Jan 1801 (parish records). Daughter Anne born and baptised 1802 in Petty (my ancestor) with witnessesAlex McIntosh and James McNicol

Hi Hilary,

Have you managed to trace Alexander McIntosh (witness for Anne's baptism) & do you know if he was Marjory's brother  ???

Just a thought & wondering if he died post 1855 in Scotland as this would hopefully name both parents providing the informant knew those details.

There was mention of William MacKintosh in the letter
(Rootschat shrink link version) http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fri/

Do you know what his connection was to Marjory, if any  ???

Annie

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 July 15 13:24 BST (UK) »
I found a baptism in Petty in 1805 for a child to Alexander McIntosh and his wife Anne McIntosh, witnesses were Donald McIntosh and James McNicol, so that might be him.

I also found a Donald McPhail born to Isobel McIntosh and Alexander McPhail in Petty in 1805, so I am wondering if this is the Donald McPhail, son of her sister, that Marjory mentions in the letter. There is no other birth for a Donald McPhail in Petty around the correct time with a McIntosh mother. I want to view the record to see who the witnesses were but I've already spent a ton of money this week on Scotland's People. It adds up fast!

I found Anne McNicol and Angus Sinclair's baptism of daughter Marjory "May" Sinclair in Petty in 1825, and witness was John McNicol "tenant in Connage." I note that it says Angus Sinclair was a wood merchant of Campbeltown, which I looked up and is in Argyllshire- but I see there are a couple people on the page from Campbeltown, so was there one in Inverness as well?

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 July 15 13:27 BST (UK) »
I want to add that unfortunately I don't know William or Alexander's connection to Marjory :( There were a lot of McIntoshes who immigrated around the same time from the same area, all related to one another in different ways, so it becomes very confusing...