Author Topic: New England Planters in Nova Scotia  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Avitus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New England Planters in Nova Scotia
« on: Wednesday 22 July 15 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I am researching my Avery Family lineage starting on Prince Edward island, Canada, to Nova Scotia, Canada to Maine, USA, Massachusettes, USA and Connecticut, USA.
I have so far landed on a John Avery; Merchant in Halifax, NS circa 1777-1784.  Had sons named John Jr. Moses and Felix.  Cannot find a wife/mother for this family, or where he went after 1784.
I have theories, but cannot prove anything.  Missing the verifiable documents that prove my theories to move on.

Also, I am very curious about The Groton Avery Clan and the Dedham Avery Branch.  Is this 'Branch' part of the Groton clan?  why is one called a clan the other a branch? Are they related somehow, both having originated in England?

Thanks,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New England Planters in Nova Scotia
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 20:25 BST (UK) »
Where did you find mentioned "The Groton Avery Clan and the Dedham Avery Branch"?

Is this the same "John Avery; Merchant in Halifax, NS circa 1777-1784.  Had sons named John Jr. Moses and Felix.  Cannot find a wife/mother for this family, or where he went after 1784." ?
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=ib4eexcept&id=I1270
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Avitus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This link is the man we are looking for, but cannot prove the next step.  The children John Jr. Felix and Moses we got from a living relative, and we have a death date for Felix listing John as his father, but no mother.
If he is who I think he is, he is John, s/o Robert Avery and Anna Cushman.  Robert being a grantee of Horton in 1761.  But this is a theory and I have not been able to prove any of it.
At this point I am looking for John's wife here in Atlantic Canada, and other children he may have had.
Any expansion of this family in Atlantic Canada would be great, but for now, I am searching the direct line.

:)

Offline Abergavenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 December 17 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Groton & Dedhan Clans. In archive.org, the relevant family history books written in about 1870s can be found and downloaded.
Take great care when using the written documentation. They have both used some of the same source material from somebody who wrote another book about the Averys ( named "Sweet" - need to check that name in the books ). Also there are a number of inaccuracies, which modern research can identify - Too many assumptions are made at times. Unfortunately I keep coming across these inaccuracies being perpetuated in family research commentaries from North America. Many of the inaccuracies are related to Geography and Demographics. As a Brit who only lives 20 minutes from The National archives, in London - The commentaries are like describing New York being only a short drive from Los Angeles.

Groton - branch descended from Matthew ? Avery from Ipplepen Devon.
Dedham Branch - descended from William Avery, Blacksmith of Barkham, Berkshire.
The families are not linked. My side of family are from Yatton Somerset - and possibly leads to Dedham Lineage.
I have visited Groton. Look up battle of fort Griswold ( or Groton Heights) during revolutionary war.

Museum in Dedham where there is a copy of Avery coat of Arms. This is the same coat of Arms described in the visitations of Somerset for Jacob Avery. And another later visitation o f Middlesex for his son Samuel Avery MP who owned Capel Manor Enfield.

Have fun following up on some of my notes. These have just been written off the top of my head without accessing my research notes -