Author Topic: Does anyone have the MI books for Holywood, Dunscore or Lochmaben churchyards?  (Read 2695 times)

Offline eileenmcnaught

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello there,

Does anyone have the MI books for Holywood, Dunscore or Lochmaben churchyards?

Need help before coming to Scotland in September.

Thank you,    Eileen

Offline meandcupcake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have the MI books for Holywood, Dunscore or Lochmaben churchyards?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 August 15 02:07 BST (UK) »
I have Lochmaben Old Churchyard MI's and OPR's  deaths and burials for Lochmaben.  What do you need to know?  Coming to Scotland in Sept as well
Smith, Webster, Cruickshank of Aberdeenshire<br />Smith, Legg of Banffshire<br />Smith, Corrie, Thomson, Lockerby of Dumfriesshire

Offline eileenmcnaught

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have the MI books for Holywood, Dunscore or Lochmaben churchyards?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 August 15 06:24 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

Thank you for your kind offer of a look up!

I have not bought the MI books - thought I would wait for the Mitchell - but canīt wait!!!

Iīm looking for the lair of Robert Mcnaught 1783 - 1851 and his wife Mary Thomson 1787 - ??.

Which part of the world are you coming from?   My fork immigrated with us to S.Africa in the 60īs, and I now live in Germany.

Thanks for your time,

Best wishes,   Eileen

Offline meandcupcake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 August 15 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Eileen

the only entry for McNaughts is this in the old Lochmaben churchyard:
"Here lyes Robert McNaught, merchant burgess in Galloway who died 11th June, 17... son to James McNaught and Margaret Gordon spouses who....."

the stone is in bad shape.

I checked the 1841 census for Lochmaben and didn't find them.  The 1851 census for "Shankcastle" Glencairn shows a Robert McNaught age 60, farm servant born Holywood , his wife Mary age 70 also born Holywood and several grandchildren.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  We have walked through the Lochmaben churchyard and it is disappointing to see the condition of some of the stones.  Living in Canada it isn't easy to do research.  My only other suggestion is to go to the archives in Dumfries to find out the location of the lair records for the areas you are researching.    yours,  Lynne
Smith, Webster, Cruickshank of Aberdeenshire<br />Smith, Legg of Banffshire<br />Smith, Corrie, Thomson, Lockerby of Dumfriesshire

Offline eileenmcnaught

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 August 15 06:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynne,

Thank you for the trouble you have gone to.

The Ncnaught in Glencairn sounds right, I shall look into that when I get to Dumfries.

Thank you once again.

Best wishes,   Eileen

Offline Becky Thomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 August 15 23:12 BST (UK) »
I can check the Hollywood 1

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hello Eileen

I have just stumbled across these posts.

I too am descended from Robert McNaught and Mary Thomson via their daughter Jean/Jane.

Next week I am going to Toronto to visit the descendants of John McNaught whose son Robert Hall McNaught emigrated to Canada.

Which of Robert and Mary's children do you descend from?

Joanna
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,