Author Topic: Mead, Meade and Mede, 1600 and before  (Read 9344 times)

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Mead, Meade and Mede, 1600 and before
« on: Wednesday 22 July 15 17:25 BST (UK) »
You couldn't swing a dead cat in Buckinghamshire without hitting a few Meads. I have collected a lot of information about them from wills, parish records, Common Pleas rolls, etc, particularly from before 1600 and going back to before 1500. Where wills and parish records are available, I have been able to connect them over several generations.

I am especially interested in Meads in Saunderton/Horsenden, Soulbury, Stewkley, Wing, Whitchurch and East Claydon. I also have quite a lot of information about individuals in other parishes, but can't connect them across generations.

If anyone is working on the Mead family in Bucks before about 1650, I'd be glad to hear from you. I'd be happy to share what I've found and meet others working in the same area.
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Mead, Meade and Mede, 1600 and before
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 19:49 BST (UK) »
You couldn't swing a dead cat in Buckinghamshire without hitting a few Meads. I have collected a lot of information about them from wills, parish records, Common Pleas rolls, etc, particularly from before 1600 and going back to before 1500. Where wills and parish records are available, I have been able to connect them over several generations.

I am especially interested in Meads in Saunderton/Horsenden, Soulbury, Stewkley, Wing, Whitchurch and East Claydon. I also have quite a lot of information about individuals in other parishes, but can't connect them across generations.

If anyone is working on the Mead family in Bucks before about 1650, I'd be glad to hear from you. I'd be happy to share what I've found and meet others working in the same area.
I am not... but my friend is of that family/area.  At the moment she's not been persuaded to pursue family history, but if she ever does, I'll remember you and force her to join Rootschat!
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 22:52 BST (UK) »
Not found a Mead in my lot yet!!

Offline Selene1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 January 16 23:27 GMT (UK) »

Hi Vance - I'm a descendant of Rev. Matthew Mead, the dissenting minister and father of Dr. Richard Mead. I've also done a lot of research on the family and would be happy to pool resources. Thanks

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 February 16 19:27 GMT (UK) »
This is what I have on them.

First, this is written by  Henry J. Mead, in 1918. The first few paragraphs are nonsense, but he has good information about the descendants of Richard Meade of Soulbury:

https://sites.google.com/site/meadfamilyhistory/home/counties/bucks

I have taken their ancestry back to about 1480, using wills, lay subsidies (tax records), etc:

https://sites.google.com/site/meadfamilyhistory/home/counties/bucks/soulbury

The wills are here:

https://sites.google.com/site/meadfamilyhistory/home/wills/bucks/wills

Especially William Meade in 1558, Richard Meade in 1645 (Matthew's father), the inventory of Joan Meade (his mother) in 1670/71, and Matthew's will in 1699.

Pontifex - Bucks

Offline Spitfire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 May 16 22:15 BST (UK) »
I have a Mary Meade marrying Simon Howlett (my direct line) in 1674.  They are of Towersey.  Ring any bells?
Howlett - London, Buckinghamshire
Cole - Peterborough
Huggins - London

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 06:50 BST (UK) »
There have been Meads there back into the 15th century, as well as in nearby Ilmer and Saunderton, though it’s not possible to be sure about the relationships for the first couple of generations.

First, John Mede of Towersey, husbandman, in the Court of Common Pleas:
1472 Hilary/dorses 1313
Bucks. Thomas Hampden, esq, versus John Mede, of Toursey, husbandman; John Baker, of Toursey, husbandman. Trespass: breach of close at Toursey.

Then, a generation later, William Mede, of Towrsey, husbandmanm in CP:
1501 Easter/dorses 484
Bucks. Nicholas Bonse or Bouse versus Nicholas Brytwell, of Charsley, gent; Richard Hykkes, of Crendon, husbandman; and William Mede of Towrsey, husbandman. Debt.

1503 Trinity/fronts 120
Bucks. Thomas Ingylson versus William Mede, of Toursey, husbandman; John Sprygyns, of Parva Kymbyll, husbandman. Debt.

A generation later, John Mede, of Toursey, husbandman, in CP:
1518 Trinity/dorses 891
Bucks. Thomas Boller versus John Mede, of Toursey, husbandman; Robert, Bayle, of Toursey, husbandman; Thomas Ravenyng, of Toursey, husbandman; William Webbe, of Toursey, husbandman; Thomas Darell, of Toursey, husbandman; Trespass: breach of close.

This must be the same person as in the 1524 lay subsidy and 1522 muster rolls:
1522 musters, John Mede of Towersey Goods £6
1524 lay subsidy John Mede of Towresy £4

William Mede of Towersey Grange, yeoman, is identified as the son of John in Common Pleas:
1550 Michaelmas/fronts b 2113
Bucks. William Fylde and Maude his wife versus John Belson, of Towersey Grange, gent, and William Mede of Towersey Grange, yeoman, son of John Mede, on a plea of covenant.

1552 Hilary/fronts 162
Bucks. William Fylde and Maude his wife versus John Belson, of Towersey Graunge, gent, and William Mede of Towersey Graunge, yeoman, son of John Mede, on a plea of covenant.

I also have some parish records of baptisms and burials, but only starting in the 1590s for Towersey (and ending in 1638):

https://sites.google.com/site/meadfamilyhistory/home/counties/bucks/burials

https://sites.google.com/site/meadfamilyhistory/home/counties/bucks/baptisms

I have wills and other info about Meads nearby, in Ilmer, Saunderton, etc:

https://sites.google.com/site/meadfamilyhistory/home

Pontifex - Bucks

Offline Oliver001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 February 17 21:30 GMT (UK) »
HI Vance,

Can you help me join up an ancestor of mine (maybe yours also)...A Richard Mead born in Monks Risborough to the Essex (Wendon) family?  I know the connection is there but I'm going cross-eyed at other people's mistakes and presumptions on Ancestry.com

I have Richard Meade b. Monks Risborough 1596 d. Oct 1643 in Soulbury
married Catherine Ives b.1610

They had John Mead b. in Amersham 1636. died. 1690 Wendover married Alise Clarke.
Who had Edward Mead b 1661 in Amersham and married Ellin/Ellen Charge.

Do you know these and can they be linked to the Essex Meads?

Really hope you can help as you seem the only one I can see on the case!
Thanks,
Andy

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 February 17 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Extracted from Meads In Buckingamshirehttps://sites.google.com/site/meadfamilyhistory/home/counties/bucks

William Mead was the second son of Richard Meade, of Soulbury, and Joane his wife. In the parish register of Soulbury the baptisms of five sons and four daughters of Richard and Joane are recorded. Richard Meade was a member of the merchant Taylors' Company and in the books of the company is described as the son of William Mead of Stewkley, Bucks, Yeoman. He (Richard) was churchwarden of Soulbury in 1625 and for several subsequent years. He died in October 1643 and was buried at Soulbury.
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/