Author Topic: Heirhunters - What if they make a mistake?  (Read 1780 times)

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Heirhunters - What if they make a mistake?
« on: Wednesday 22 July 15 19:19 BST (UK) »
I was watching Heirhunters on the telly this morning and one of the firms said they had a deceased who they discovered had married twice and had no children.  They extended their search to wider family and eventually found relatives, but not descendants of the deceased.

He said on camera that they were about to print out the official contracts and make claims for the extended family when they suddenly discovered he'd been married three times.  He'd had a first marriage they'd not spotted before - and had three children from that marriage.  Of those, one'd died aged 20 without children, leaving the estate to fall to the remaining two children's families.

So ... what would've happened if the estate had been claimed/distributed and if the real (first marriage) descendants had started doing family history and discovered the mistake and wanted  their money?

There must be a rule/law.  Bit of a bummer if that happened to you and it was a biggun!
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Heirhunters - What if they make a mistake?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 19:29 BST (UK) »
I expect they might have insurance to cover them in case that happens! Something like this? http://www.trustprobate-insurance.co.uk/probate/early_distribution.html

I'm sure when we were sorting out probate for my mother we were asked if we wanted to take out an insurance to cover us in case anyone else made a claim. We refused as we knew there was no one else!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 19:39 BST (UK) »
I expect they might have insurance to cover them in case that happens! Something like this? http://www.trustprobate-insurance.co.uk/probate/early_distribution.html

I'm sure when we were sorting out probate for my mother we were asked if we wanted to take out an insurance to cover us in case anyone else made a claim. We refused as we knew there was no one else!
Ah insurance.  If I'd done the research and a mistake was found I'd just crawl off and die of shame.
It's not for me .... being an heirhunter with top level responsibility for the decisions made.  Quite happy to beaver away as a researcher, back room work .... but I'd not want to put my neck on the line with the contract end of it!

There's still little time to make a claim.  Although maybe any subsequent claim would be directly against the heirhunting company.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.

Offline panic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 19:49 BST (UK) »
Insurance is key as you only need to claim to be entitled for them to release monies to the executor. For HH firms it will all be part of the normal service.
Shropshire: Bailey, Cadman, Chilton, Garbett, Pritchards
Yorkshire: Chilton, Cogan, Cooper, Farrar, Hammond, Nickless/Nicholls, Silkstone
Ireland: Brannan, Cogan, O'Connor

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 22:19 BST (UK) »
I was told by a distant relative that when my gran's half aunt who lived with her gran (my gran's mother) and my gran throughout her childhood, (she was the same age as my gran so they were like sisters) whilst her mother lived elsewhere, had died an advert was put in the paper for next of kin and that her 1st cousin once removed, who was 41 years younger and her sister had claimed they were the only relatives and got all the estate, when if that had been true, my gran would have been a closer relative.  However, I got hold of my gran's half aunt's will, apart from 2 small bequests to friends, she had left everything to a cousin, so it just shows that you shouldn't believe anything that relatives tell you.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 22:27 BST (UK) »
I got hold of my gran's half aunt's will, apart from 2 small bequests to friends, she had left everything to a cousin, so it just shows that you shouldn't believe anything that relatives tell you.
There was a similar family rumour covered in WDYTYA (Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen's).  Family story said they'd been robbed of an estate, by a character referred to as "Mr Trickey"  The reality and paperwork showed that the house was put up for auction and the highest bidder was such a man - married to one of the beneficiaries, so the others will have got their fair share of the money, just not the house they clearly coveted but were unable to be able to afford to buy.

- -

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 23:04 BST (UK) »
"We refused as we knew there was no one else!"

"knew" ? "skeletons"? "cupboards"?

If only life (probate) was that simple . . . . .

::)

[ comment meant generically NOT specifically ]

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You canít give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).