Author Topic: WRIGHT Family of Orange  (Read 13298 times)

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
WRIGHT Family of Orange
« on: Sunday 26 July 15 04:31 BST (UK) »
From  A very old Newspaper Report dated 28 February 1936 in The Narromine News and Trangie Advocate, a section of it reads:
"Claimed to be 118 years of age, an old age pensioner, named Jack Wright, passed away yesterday morning at Trangie.
His Father lived at Orange where he was married twice, rearing a family by each wife. Jack Wright was his first son by his first wife, who was aboriginal and was born at Windsor."

From the death certificate of Jack Wright it suggests his father was John Wright, Labourer with Mother unknown. No further information on his father is shown.

I did take a stab in the dark and order a baptism certificate for a John Wright born 28 May 1831 and baptised 31 January 1833 in the Parish of Narrellan,County of Cumberland.Father John Wright, Cooper and Mother Sarah Wright. (This time frame fits with  a death in 1936 of Jack Wright, but not really sure this is him)

I have also written to many other researchers researching The Wright Name with no apparent  matches to date. Also The Orange History Group, who sent me many pages of info but none matching whom I seek .

Trying to reach out to all you gurus on where to next please??

Would like some suggestions to try to follow up both Jacks Mothers family and the second family of John Wright.

Jack Wright was born at Forbes, no date known and died 27th February 1936, Trangie, New South Wales, Australia, aged 105 years( as recorded on the death certificate)

Regards
Jill

Wells-Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Carlyle -Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Underwood - Ruthwell,Dumfrieshire
Grierson - Ruthwell,Dumfrishire
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Hawks/Hawkes - Staffordshire, England
Badgery - Staffordshire, England
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: WRIGHT Family of Orange
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 July 15 04:41 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

So you are seeking a baptismal record for a John WRIGHT, born in about 1831, on the Lachlan, near "Camp Hill".    Forbes was not the name of the district in the 1830s.   John Oxley (Surveyor General) had named it Camp Hill during one of his expeditions during the Macquarie era. 

Wiki says that the first settlers moved into the district in 1834. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes,_New_South_Wales

Have you considered contacting Forbes family history group,     http://home.westserv.net.au/~ffhg/

Here's a live link to the 1936 newspaper cutting. 
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/99601632   (mentions a daughter aged 94 living in Newcastle at that time)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 July 15 04:49 BST (UK) »
Hi JM
Thank you for your comments and shared links. Much appreciated.

I have already obtained the baptism but am not too sure this would be the correct one for my Jack, or John as it has listed.

I am trying to work further back to find further info on Jacks father and family.
Jill
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 July 15 04:59 BST (UK) »

I did take a stab in the dark and order a baptism certificate for a John Wright born 28 May 1831 and baptised 31 January 1833 in the Parish of Narrellan,County of Cumberland.Father John Wright, Cooper and Mother Sarah Wright. (This time frame fits with  a death in 1936 of Jack Wright, but not really sure this is him)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTC8-K9N
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTHY-QHD 
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT8M-3NL

and NSW BDM seems to be 1831, Vol 17, line 617.  I can confirm that Volume 17 is definitely Church of England. http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/short-guide-4/volumes-1-123-1/volumes-1-123

Seems a co - incidence, (date of birth, date of ceremony, same parents etc) but the family search organisations's links I am providing seem  to be PITT TOWN, which is ever so close to Windsor ....., so it may well be worthwhile chasing for the images that support those family search transcriptions.  It could be that there's margin notes from the clergy that give family information.

Also, do you know siblings names for Jack Wright?   Or name of the daughter at Newcastle?

http://www.hawkesbury.net.au/church/stjames_pitttown.html   Look at the third marriage, could this be of interest? 

Cheers,  JM 

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 July 15 05:12 BST (UK) »
Sorry  :(no known siblings of Jack. Daughter is Louisa Wright.
Thanks for those links they look like following up, not too sure how to link them to Jack though??
Jill
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 July 15 05:13 BST (UK) »
A Jack WRIGHT married a Sarah HUGGINS at  Cof E Pitt Town in 1827. from nsw bdm
Ref # 211/1827 V1827211 11 & 4148/1827 V18274148 3B

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 July 15 05:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks for the help and suggestions and possible suggestions BUT given I know next to nothing about Jack and his father John Wright how will I decide if this is my connection? Ahh feeling confused ???
Jill
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 July 15 05:29 BST (UK) »
I am not suggesting these links are positively your chap,  but I am suggesting that you seek out further details for that baptism for which you have the NSW BDM documentation.   They would have supplied you a transcribed document.   NSW BDM do not hold the original document that leads to that transcription. 

The clergy often wrote notes in the margins, if so, those notes are not part of the transcription.  I am suggesting you can eliminate some of your possibilities if you get back to the primary documents upon which the various transcriptions are based, simply by seeking out the margin notes.  Some times these margin notes include comments that give you the occupation of the child's dad, or the name of the property, or mum's family name, or other details.   That way you may be able to confirm or eliminate based on your earlier knowledge re Jack's mum's Aboriginal heritage. 

As divorce did not come to NSW until 1873, you need to consider sorting out how Jack's Dad's first marriage ended ..... Did Jack's mum die and Jack's dad remarried after that, or perhaps did Jack's Mum quit the marriage, and if so perhaps the 'seven years' concept informally ended the marriage.... 

If you find the second marriage, then work backwards, perhaps you can learn about Jack's dad from the second marriage .....   Afterall, marriage certs give us first hand information supplied by the bride and the groom, so it is often a tad more reliable than info on a death cert.   

When did Jack marry?  Do you have his daughter's birth cert? 

Loads more questions arise ....  :)

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 July 15 05:32 BST (UK) »
Firstly, confusion is good, it shows you are alert....

So, I am going to presume you know for certain that Jack, the elderly lad who died in 1936 is definitely an ancestor of yours. 

Then I am going to suggest that you will need to consider spending some pennies to obtain the NSW BDM official transcriptions of BDM documents about him, and from the information on those documents THEN commence your further research.    The BDM records are the foundation documents, and it is well worth while obtaining these,  NOT the real deal documents, (you don't need the fancy certification) but the NSW BDM official transcriptions.... from NSW BDM approved transcribers.... http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx  (scroll down to "Ask a family history transcription agent

Family history transcription agents provide full and partial transcriptions, or verification of details. A good idea if you only need the facts, and not full certified copies of certificates. For more details and fees, see below."   

Any one of those three are excellent.   

Cheers,  JM