Author Topic: Thomas Jury BUTLER - Alderney  (Read 4291 times)

Offline Graham Black

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Jury BUTLER - Alderney
« on: Sunday 26 July 15 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've traced my missing great grand uncle to Alderney during and after World War 1. He was born in Wimbledon, Surrey on 29 Jan 1889 and christened a few years later at All Saints, Wimbledon on 02 Apr 1893. He enlists with the British Army in late 1906 and goes to India, for most of 1908 he remains in India when he is invalided back to England and discharged as medically unfit in late 1908.

He then disappears until he turns up in Alderney, having enlisted as a Sapper on 28 Jan 1917. His attestation form lists his wife Louisa Elizabeth as his next of kin and two children, Kathleen Stella born 08Feb1914 and Thomas Patrick born 01Feb1916. He does not appear in the 1911 Census of England and Wales as being anywhere in England. I can't find a marriage for him to Louisa and I can't locate the births of either Stella or Patrick.

I therefore wonder if, after his discharge, he made his way to Alderney, met Louisa and married and had children in Alderney. In which case I'd expect the Parish Records for St Anne's to have, maybe, a marriage and two births.

His address on demobilisation was Marconi Cottage, Longy Road, Alderney although the address for his next of kin was another (indechiperable) cottage in Alderney. After this the trail for Thomas, Louis, Stella and Thomas is cold - no records at all.

If anyone can assist with a lookup of the St Annes records or any other sources in Alderney, or even Guernsey, it would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Graham Black

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Jury BUTLER - Alderney
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 July 15 13:56 BST (UK) »
He seems to have survived the war, based on what you're indicating.... but there is a Thomas Butler on the Alderney War Memorial and they don't know who he was.

http://www.greatwarci.net/journals/36.pdf

"Many were Alderney born but several also reflect the Island’s garrison status. Private Walter Last of the Royal Irish Regiment is one of those, being stationed there in 1911. He was also one
of the first casualties of the war, being killed in action during the Battle of Mons in August 1914.We still need to identify Joseph Brady, Thomas Butler, Alex George, George Sharpe and Edwin Underdown, whose names appear.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 July 15 14:12 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is Thomas in 1911in Jersey from the free search on Family Search https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7J4-H33

Kay

Welcome to RootsChat :)

Offline Graham Black

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 July 15 12:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you Stanley,

Yes, his demob date was 1919 so he survived the war. I've been in contact with the Channel Islands Great War Study Group and they've been trying to locate any information about the Thomas BUTLER on the Alderney memorial since 2007. As it was such a common name and they had no details, they weren't able to track him down. I've just sent his service record through to them. I feel there's a good chance it is one and the same Thomas BUTLER.

Kay, thank you as well. I hadn't considered Jersey before and although we can't be sure, how many Thomas BUTLERs could there be, born in Wimbledon about the right age and who weren't accounted for in England on Census night. I note he was a boarder and employed as a quarryman.

I do wonder if his future wife, Louisa Elizabeth was a local girl. I've just search the 1911 Channel Islands Census and there were only 19 of which only a single woman, Louisa Elizabeth Jeffries, single and thirty years old would seem to be a possibility. The rest were too young, too old i.e. not of typical child bearing age or married. Assuming he was married when the first of the children were born in 1914, we now have a three year gap and I would consider it unlikely he left the Channel Islands and then returned with his new wife. This all assumes that the Thomas in the 1911 Jersey Census is my guy.

Thanks again folks - hopefully someone with access to Parish/BDM records can assist. It is possible he was married on Jersey and then moved to Alderney - perhaps I'm looking in the wrong parish!!!

If you need any help with research in Adelaide, Australia, feel free to contact me.

Regards

Graham

:)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 July 15 13:17 BST (UK) »
I think the 1911 Thomas must be him as well

Good Luck Kay

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 July 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
The names Kathleen and Patrick may point to Irish ancestry somewhere, possibly his wife's family.

Offline PeterGHamer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 17:09 BST (UK) »
Have been trying to find a bit more about Thomas.  In the Alderney Parish Records his wife appears to be Louisa Elizabeth Goring, a local girl.  He has three more children it appears, Arthur Henry born 4/8/1917, Doris Rose Vida born 8/8/1919 and Roland Bertram born 22/4/1923.
I wonder if he ended up in Alderney with the quarry trade and ended up marrying Louisa.  Not sure about the mystery of his military service and how he ended up on the War Memorial here.

Peter in Alderney

Offline adellegib85

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 November 19 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi all 👋

I believe I am related to you. The uncle you speak of was married to Louisa Goring, my great grandfather (George James Goring)'s sister. I don't have a great deal more info to add, I just came across this post while digging into my own family history and wanted to say hi.

My great grandfather was the eldest of his siblings and was named after his father, George James, as was tradition in our family. From what my grandma has told me, he ran away to sea and left Alderney behind to work in the ship yards in Hebburn, Tyne and Wear, where he met my great grandmother, Agnes and married. Together they had 6 children, all of whom seemed to dote on their father. Sadly, he passed away when my grandmother was only 6 years old. My grandma told me her mum always believed that the heart condition that killed him had started when he had a serious accident while working in the ship yards. My family still live in and around Hebburn to this day, so it would appear you have Geordie relatives and I am one of them!

From what I can gather, the Goring family were Alderney residents for generations prior to Thomas and Louisa's marriage.

Please feel free to get in touch. Hope to hear from you soon to compare notes!

Adelle x