Author Topic: Fox Farm House, Andover Down  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Corgidog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fox Farm House, Andover Down
« on: Monday 27 July 15 06:35 BST (UK) »
There was a property near Andover built about 1880-85 on Andover Down across from Fox Farm called Fox Farm House. It was Thomas Alexander Banks d. 1899, who owned both properties. He built the House. The properties stayed in the Banks name until Thomas A. Banks Jr. died likely in the 1940's, at which time it transferred to his daughter Laura and her husband Jim Croston. They sold Fox Farm House about 1962.

Do Fox Farm House and the farm buildings still exist? My husband's father, also Thomas A. Banks grew up in that house, immigrated to Canada in 1912 but never got back to see it. We are coming in September and will be in Andover sometime then. Maybe someone can tell us if the house and farm are still there or even help us locate it. I am not searching for live relatives. The family history keeper lost touch as long ago as 1958.
CDB
Boyle, Winch
Banks, Kitson

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fox Farm House, Andover Down
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 July 15 06:42 BST (UK) »
There is this Fox Farm on Google Street view on Andover Down  in terms of location
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fsi/

Kay

Edit - East edge of map shows both Fox Farm and Fox Cottage??  http://maps.nls.uk/view/101440314

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 July 15 06:55 BST (UK) »
It is called Fox Cottage on this map:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=51.2163&lon=-1.4100&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Hold the cursor over the map/s to help find the exact location on both old and new maps - it looks to still be there which is good news.  :)

Drop the little man on google maps and you can see the house quite clearly.  :)

(I see we are thinking along the same lines Kay)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 July 15 07:04 BST (UK) »
Photo of the cottage?  http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4410542   :)

Kay

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 July 15 07:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think that's it Kay. You can place google street view man right at the end of that private road just outside the house.  :)

Offline Corgidog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 05:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kay99 and Ruskie. I have much to go on with your help. I knew of street view, but am happy to have you confirm that there is an actual photo and description of a house up the lane, plus seeing the old map/new one side by side is wonderful-and a new source of info to me-still learning.
CDB
Boyle, Winch
Banks, Kitson

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 06:45 BST (UK) »
It looks like the house would not have changed much since your father in law lived there.

Have a wonderful trip.

Offline hampshire-grandma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 13:54 BST (UK) »
I live not far  from this area.  My grandparents lived in one of the cottages before I was born.  They are a pair of cottages and the one nearest to the B3400 is being extended and looks as though it will be twice its former size.  Although there is a very recent "Private Road" notice I think there is still a public footpath there.

On the other side of the B3400 is Fox Farm and its outbuildings.  I think it belongs to the Middleton Estaste which is in the nearby village of Longparish.  I think there was a timber business  there in the 60s, but I'm not sure about now.

There is another large house further along the lane after you have passed the cottages.  Will try to find out about this one.  How I wish my mother were still alive.  (Don't we all?)  She would have known a lot about this area.

Offline hampshire-grandma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 September 15 15:06 BST (UK) »
P.S Forgot to tell you that there are buses from Andover or Basingstoke running every half hour which stop right by the lane that Fox Cottages are in.  Andover is nearer and would take about 15 mins on the bus. Bus number 76 and there are timetables in Andover bus station