Author Topic: Caufield brick wall...  (Read 2044 times)

Offline carriea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Caufield brick wall...
« on: Monday 27 July 15 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

I've been researching my Caufield roots for several years, but the trail has gone cold.

My Caufields are:

Owen Patrick Caufield b. 1807... m. Alice (var. Allis or Eliza) b. 1807 d. 1890 in Port Jervis, NY

children: James, John, Martin, Catherine, Bridget

Owen and Alice moved their family from Wexford to Port Jervis, NY in the 1850s. Owen disappears from the paper trail by 1875. Alice ran the show by then and her obituary says she was considered a sage of the community. My direct Caufield relations stayed in in Port Jervis, NY until my dad was a toddler (same house, too!). The sons all worked for Eerie RR.

Martin is my 2nd great-grandfather.
BIRTH ABT 1845 • County Wexford, Ireland
DEATH 5 SEPT 1925 • Port Jervis Orange County N.Y.

He married Catherine "Kitty" Molly and had a son, Owen Patrick:
BIRTH 7/5/1878 • Port Jervis, Orange, New York, USA
DEATH 8/11/1968 • Rochester, Monroe, New York, USA

Owen m. Iva Marie "Mary" Denny and had my grandfather, Owen Francis:
BIRTH 11 FEB 1909 • Port Jervis, Orange County, N.Y.
DEATH 12 FEB 1990 • Rochester, Monroe, New York, USA

My grandfather and father never talked about their Irish roots, so it took several years to find the right Caufields. 

The last name has been spelled various ways on US Censuses... and their appears to be family that matches all the names in Ireland Censuses during the same time period (1840-1880) from what I can tell, but I am certain that my Caufields lived in Port Jervis.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Caufield brick wall...
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 August 15 10:25 BST (UK) »
The surname is invariably Caulfield in Wexford.

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 August 15 11:32 BST (UK) »
Put caufield port jervis ireland in search box & select all the words for obituary of Mrs. Owen (Alice) Caufield, etc.
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

Also try changing the search terms to get more articles.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline carriea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 December 21 04:52 GMT (UK) »
An update, years later… ;D

I found my Caufields in the Adamstown parish record, oddly enough, no “L.”

My grandfather added the “L” back in the 1970s to distinguish himself and his mail from the neighbors. I wonder if there’s a similar reason for dropping the “L” in the first place.

Alice is a Kinsella. That opened up some doors. And also, the obituary was priceless. It led me to her will, which surprisingly showed she was a woman of some means. She was also named as an executor in wills of some of the towns prominent citizens.

Owen died in the 1860s according to church records of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart in Port Jarvis, NY. (The  exact date list to time).

I also found baptism records for all the children except Catherine, who was likely born in the USA.

I have not done much digging beyond that. The parish records are in Latin and poorly scanned.

But I eventually plan to spend a year in my ancestral area to research once the world is a bit safer.

A belated thank you to you both for helping me remove some bricks.  :)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 May 22 02:40 BST (UK) »
Let's see. The following baptisms of children of Owen, of Tomgarrow, are in the Adamstown parish registers:
James, 20/4/1839, mother Elizabeth Kinsella
John, 6/4/1842, "  Alice "
Martin, 9/11/1845, " Alice "
Kate, 4/6/1849, "  Ally "

Kate is of course the missing Catherine.
In the transcripts I looked at, the surname is given as Caulfield throughout. I only checked the spelling of the surname on the NLI microfilms for one child, Kate, where the original register  appears to say Cawfield.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 May 22 02:46 BST (UK) »

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 May 22 02:48 BST (UK) »