Author Topic: Challenge - Herbert Janvrin VINCENT and Agnes Claudia FRIEDBERG  (Read 5123 times)

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge - Herbert Janvrin VINCENT and Agnes Claudia FRIEDBERG
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 August 15 17:31 BST (UK) »
Julius junior is being a little elusive. Thanks for looking out those pieces of info. So at least I can assume ( :) ) that Agnes was still alive in 1897 which means she died after that...

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 August 15 21:21 BST (UK) »
This may be an utter red herring, but there is a marriage reported between Carl Arthur Friedberger, son of Julius Friedberger of 2 POrtman Square, to Mildred Crake, dau of Rev E E Crake, of Jevington, Sussex.  This was reported on 21 Feb 1903 in the Sussex Agricultural Express.

No, forget that.  Have just found a birth for a Julius Friedberger which would fit for him being the one mentioned in the article above.  Bah humbug  ;)

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 August 15 18:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this, just adding to various Friedberg lines... if Florence married a Stevens, there is Arthur H Stevens, clerk in holy orders which would fit but she was not listed in the will therefore I don't think she hangs around.
Still hoping I can find out what happens to Agnes and husband Herbert Janvrin Vincent

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 08 August 15 23:12 BST (UK) »
I can see Arthur H Stevens with wife Florence in the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census.  Florence gives her POB as Highbury (1891 and 1901) and Islington (1911) though - would that fit?

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 09 August 15 06:49 BST (UK) »
Might investigate the other option as well. Highbury to Bethnal Green (saw that somewhere else as PoB) is about 3 miles apart.

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 August 15 06:49 BST (UK) »
The holy orders fits because Julius was a Presbyterian minister.

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 11 August 17 13:20 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D :D I may well have found out what happened to Herbert Janvrin Vincent. Been struggling for nearly five years to work out what happened to Herbert and Agnes who both seem to disappear. These two are my GG Grandfather and GG Grandmother, not exactly that distant. I knew that Herbert was deceased at his son's wedding in 1903... at least he was on the register as deceased :)
This problem has been out there for several years now on Rootschat but has remained unsolved.
This was all the more confusing because I have a photo of one of the sons, my G Grandfather, in Rangoon. Why Rangoon/ Burma? With their religious links, and the whole wider family looking to do God's work at the time, there was a lot of travelling amongst them, they were here, there and everywhere...

But now I have this possible record, plus another record (same name) on the same boat and the same year. They may well have died at sea...
First name(s) J H (H J... corrected on the document... YES!)
Last name Vincent (YES)
Gender Unknown
Birth year 1856 (one year out, but that's not unusual)
Birth date 1856
Birth place British Yorkshire (That fits, born in Batley, Yorkshire)
Death year 1900
Death date 19 May 1900 (another document has HJ Vincent dying in a different month closer to the date of the other Vincent death listed as August on the same boat)
Age 44
Vessel name Springbank (another newspaper reported this ship had a hideous journey in July and August)
Departure port -
County At Sea
Series BT 334
Box 0024
Page 21
Record set Deaths At Sea, 1781-1968
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Deaths & burials
Collections from Great Britain, UK None
DIED of fever and ague... Malaria but then crossed out

There is another Vincent death (only surname, no other information) on the same boat two months later.... could that be Agnes?
There is an address.
Did they live in Balham though? Fuzzy number on the document for Louisville Road, Balham. They were in North Croydon at one point, so it's possible.Some people maybe able to help on reading that one, but it may have to be tracked down at Kew. Then land registry. Determined to confirm they are dead  :)

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 25 August 17 15:12 BST (UK) »
I am at the National archives and they agreed the image of the document was fuzzy so I saw the original and it is 109 Louisville Road. However, after ordering the title register, supposedly for that address the freehold/ when it was built was 1901 and yet the death I am looking at is 1900. Slightly confused. The mid 1890s map have a road marked but with no houses at that time so I assume they were built around the turn of the century. I was SO hoping to find that their names were the first on the Land registry but it's not been forthcoming and therefore this is still up in the air a bit. There is no record of them in 1891 and 1901 is after their death, it seems... any other avenues people I should look into? James