Author Topic: Ritchie/Richie/Richey in Tamneymore/Tamnymore or nearby townlands, Cumber Lower  (Read 2915 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
The unexpected find of a marriage notice in an October 1854 newspaper, has caused me to believe I have come across a previously unknown to me sibling in a line I have researched for many years.

The notice intimated that the marriage had taken place on 26th September, of al Nancy Gallagher, eldest daughter of William of Ervey, at Killaloo Church, to a John Ritchie of Tamneymore. I have plenty of research on William, his wife and 4 of their children (2 females married and migrated to Scotland, 2 males to America).

On the civil index, I can see an 1854 Marriage of a John Ritchie to an Anne Gallagher
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGXL-549, albeit with 19th as date. Knowing Nancy can be a derivative, and given that father's name, William, and Lower Cumber matches, this seems the best fit (haven't taken a chance on the certificate yet).  The index also indicates John's father was a John too, although this was not mentioned in the newspaper.  A Richie/Gallagher marriage took place elsewhere in Londonderry in 1855, but I do not think there is any link between the families. I have found several births to this other marriage, but none yet to John and Nancy/Anne.

Griffiths valuation 1858/59 has a John Richey in Killennan townland, which is also in Cumber Lower, so a possibility for the John of the marriage. http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/derry/cumberlower.htm

There are various Ritchies in Killennan and Crossballycormac at 1901/11, but nothing as yet to tie them with John and Nancy. http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fsz/

Early days (and I'm still in 'summer holiday mode', even though summer seems to have forgotten us this year, so not fully tuned into my usual research capabilities  ;D ) , but so far, not having much success following John and Nancy/Anne . Thought I would post what I have anyhow, on the off-chance someone happens along at some point who is doing Ritchie research for this parish and recognises any of the details.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi, this is transcript of marriage..

Marriage:
19 September 1854
Cumber lower,co Derry

John Ritchie
address:Tamnamore
rel: Church of Ireland
occ:labourer
father:John Ritchie
father's occ:labourer

Anne Gallagher
address:Ervey
rel: Church of Ireland
father:William Gallagher
father's occ: labourer
witnesses:Andrew S. Brown & Thomas Laughlin

I could not locate births for their children.

What is Anne Gallagher mother's name?  Kim

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thanks for having a look, Kim, much appreciated.

Anne/Nancy's mum was Letitia Mitchell. The Gallagher (sometimes Gallacher/Gallaher) family were in Ervey from at least the time of the 1831 census and probably earlier. As said in my opening post, I have followed what became of two of her brothers and two of her sisters and am therefore now naturally curious about her, as she was previously unknown to me and unexpectedly popped up on the newspaper entry when I was looking for something else (don't you just love it when that happens   ;D ). No such marriage notices seem to have appeared for any of her siblings, and it actually struck me as slightly unusual, in timescale, that one did for her, given they were not a family of any standing as such. 

As an aside, William can be 'followed' at Ervey through marriages of his children, Griffiths Valuation and the Valuation Revision books until, from memory, the 1870's, when he likely died (a couple of possibilities in the death indexes). After a gap, another Gallagher family is in the Ervey townland at 1901/1911, but so far I haven't found anything to connect them back to William and Letitia, so it could just be coincidence.

Anyhow, getting back to this thread and the Ritchie trail, it could be that John and Anne/Nancy didn't have children and/or one or both of them died early in their marriage or possibly, like Anne's siblings, they migrated to the mainland or emigrated to America. So far, though, not finding any obvious death for Anne/Nancy albeit a few possibilities for John, so maybe I should look for any possibilities of Anne/Nancy remarrying too. Like you, I am also not coming across any obvious children to the marriage nor seeing the family group on mainland or USA records, albeit haven't had time yet to look too closely in the latter.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline Irish Cowboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ritchie/Richie/Richey in Tamneymore/Tamnymore or nearby townlands, Cumber Lower
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 August 15 12:12 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this helps my mum cousin is John Richie mother was Lily Colhoun form Fountain hill, and his father was William Richie , Fountain hill is only 5 min walk form Tammeymore my great great grandparents Robert Bell and Annie Bell
Ferguson L/Derry,Canada,Donegal,Fermanagh,
Bell Co Down,L/Derry, Canada ,
Thompson Co Down,
Wright Donegal,L/Derry,
Hyndman Co Tryone ,L/Derry,
McElwee Donegal,L/Derry,
McClintock Donegal,
Glenn Donegal,
Black Donegal,
Gibson Donegal,
Currie, Scotland,
Henderson,Scotland
Henderson Co Leitrim Ireland

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ritchie/Richie/Richey in Tamneymore/Tamnymore or nearby townlands, Cumber Lower
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 January 17 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Belated thanks for posting, irish. Do you have any further research on your 'Richie' line? Unfortunately, I still haven't traced what became of John Ritchie and Nancy/Anne Gallagher.