Author Topic: Windows 10 - The Eagle has landed!  (Read 38038 times)

Offline Keithtug

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 - The Eagle has landed!
« Reply #18 on: Friday 31 July 15 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've downloaded Windows 10 and everything seems to be OK except for a couple of niggles! I lost my favourites list, but eventually found it, but I don't like the format it's in now. Can I change it?
The other thing is, when I download something from FindMyPast, it doesn't give me an option to "Save as" and just sticks it in the Downloads. Any ideas, anyone?
Keith
CHARGE - Durham, Yorkshire (all Ridings).
BOYER - Barton Yorkshire, Leicestershire, London
FOSTER - Bolton Percy Yorkshire
DODDS - Durham & Ontario
KENDALL - Romaldkirk Yorkshire, Durham
YOUNG - Somerset
WEBSTER- WRY
HUDSON - Norfolk
PAMMENT - Suffolk
JOY- Pateley Bridge, Esholt, Idle Yorkshire WRY.
GILL - Pateley Bridge
LAX- Yorkshire.
YOUNG - Dunbarton, Barony (Lanark), Argyll, Stirling.
MUIRHEAD - Stirling.
HENDRY - Stirling

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • (Virture in difficulty)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 31 July 15 12:42 BST (UK) »
At least I can now transfer photos from my 'phone to laptop using something called One Drive.  Perhaps I could do that with Windows 8.1 and just never noticed.  I know Microsoft intend Windows 10 to be used with all platforms, PCs, 'phones, etc. and for you to be able to link them all together, but I must say I was surprised when I clicked on One Drive to make a connection with my 'phone (so that I could transfer photos easily) and it instantly picked up the make and model of my 'phone, despite the 'phone being in a different room and turned off - spooky really.

Hi Lizzie,I'd like to be able to transfer photos from my phone to laptop as you have but havn't a clue how to do it.

Can you guide me a little bit please?

Thanks

barbara..
Howell. Marshall. Frew.Finn.Williams.Jones.Carroll.
Hinksman. Zeitline.Roberts.Shepherd.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Has anyone an ancestor who looks similar to this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 31 July 15 13:08 BST (UK) »
Do you have Windows 10?  If so, click on the Microsoft windows icon, and you'll find a list of Most Used - so in my case Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird etc.  Then below that is a short list File Explorer, Settings, Power, All Apps.  Click on All Apps and scroll down until you get to One Drive.  Click on that and follow the instructions - I think that's how I did it.  Oh by the way I was asked for an e-mail address and password to sign on.  When I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 I was given an e-mail address by Microsoft (which I don't use but it shows up when I turn on my laptop) so I used that (it wouldn't accept my normal e-mail address) then it took me to google mail and I had to sign on to there also.  But that could be just because my normal e-mail is g.mail.com and I have it on my 'phone also.

Good luck - if it doesn't work, try googling OneDrive to see how it works.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 31 July 15 13:15 BST (UK) »
Keith: Regarding downloads, I use Firefox.
To select where to store downloads click Tools then Options, select from drop down menu where you want to save.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 31 July 15 13:27 BST (UK) »
I use Firefox and my downloads and for some reason are always under my documents (in a left hand column which also has This PC and Network listed).  I've no idea why it's there.  Perhaps many moons ago when I first got Windows 8, I opted for it to be there.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 31 July 15 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks LizzieW.  The thing must have been listening!  I just printed without doing anything apart from reading your post.  I'll never fully understand computers!

maxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 31 July 15 15:16 BST (UK) »
I've found that once opened there is a way of changing how they open, so I can now open them in Irfanview instead.  Only problem is I can't see how I can now change back if I want to.  ::)

From the start menu select Settings/System/Default Apps and then select whatever you like in photo viewer. Irfanview should be showing for you now I assume.

Simon

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 31 July 15 16:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Locksmith - Yes Irfanview was showing.  I tried one or two of the others, but went back to Irfanview as it's what I'm familiar with and I can change images etc.

Offline Keithtug

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 31 July 15 17:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your  replies Brian and Lizzie. I'm using Internet Explorer and before Windows 10  whenever I clicked on download (from FindMyPast) another box appeared asking if I just wanted to save, or  save as. That doesn't happen now and there is nothing  to select Tools on the screen, so I have to go to my downloads then rename the file then move it to where I want it. Very annoying!!
I thought Firefox was closing down, as a few weeks ago I was going to start using it, but a friend told me not to bother. Have you heard anything?
Keith
CHARGE - Durham, Yorkshire (all Ridings).
BOYER - Barton Yorkshire, Leicestershire, London
FOSTER - Bolton Percy Yorkshire
DODDS - Durham & Ontario
KENDALL - Romaldkirk Yorkshire, Durham
YOUNG - Somerset
WEBSTER- WRY
HUDSON - Norfolk
PAMMENT - Suffolk
JOY- Pateley Bridge, Esholt, Idle Yorkshire WRY.
GILL - Pateley Bridge
LAX- Yorkshire.
YOUNG - Dunbarton, Barony (Lanark), Argyll, Stirling.
MUIRHEAD - Stirling.
HENDRY - Stirling