Author Topic: Wrong register online for The Ballagh  (Read 4027 times)

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wrong register online for The Ballagh
« on: Thursday 30 July 15 23:21 BST (UK) »
I was wondering why I couldn't find people I expected to find in NLI registers for 'The Ballagh' (Ferns) baptisms 1837-1853. So I decided to start on the first page and go slowly through and then I spotted on the top of the page it says 'Ballindaggin'

I have sent an email to NLI. I have been delighted with the site so far I am interested to see how promptly they reply and more importantly sort the problem.

M
Roche Wexford/USA
Sinnott 2 families Ardcavan Wexford/USA and Boolaboy.
Cullen Ballyknockan  Wexford/ USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong register online for The Ballagh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 July 15 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I just had a look at your message so I went to the site to see what it was you were on about.
Yes this is correct as you said.
But if you look at Ballindaggin, you will see the Birth and Marriage books are not as the other books are. These only start in 1871.
These are pre-printed in Latin and so this was when the Parish Priests kept these books up to date and were viewed at by the Bishops to see how the Parish was thriving. The only early book I have seen like this was in Terryglass in Tipperary in 1829. Before then Parish books were only a record for the Priest and this is why they went missing when they moved Parish and Diocese.
I have corrected quite a few photo's of churches in family trees on different sites, also the spellings. Some have the new church with the old church date, so when I mention to the keeper of the tree they have both photo's then.
It was only after the 1830's that Catholic Churches were allowed to be built again. So it may be that the Church wasn't built when your people were born and the PP had to go from The Ballagh to Ballindaggin or the other way round and listed the names under their Parish, or as what will/would be the Parish.
I did ring the phone number for the Church, no answer, to find out when the church was built.
If you google it you can ring yourself. The Church is St Colman.
As far as you waiting for a reply from the NLI they are very efficient and will reply as soon as they have viewed the books and found the info.
I go to the Library in Kildare Street 2-3 times a year and having these records on line now saves a lot of time. Have you used the library to search?
You must go and see what it's like and let us all know what you think.
I am sure we will all be waiting to see your update on this.
If I am incorrect then I'm incorrect and I will learn from what you learn.
Keep up the good work
Maggsie

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong register online for Oulart/"The Ballagh"
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 July 15 22:25 BST (UK) »
I was wondering why I couldn't find people I expected to find in NLI registers for 'The Ballagh' (Ferns) baptisms 1837-1853. So I decided to start on the first page and go slowly through and then I spotted on the top of the page it says 'Ballindaggin'

I have sent an email to NLI. I have been delighted with the site so far I am interested to see how promptly they reply and more importantly sort the problem.

M

Actually, it is the correct register for Oulart, but you are also correct that it is for Ballindaggin! If you look through the register, you will see that in both the baptisms and marriages sections it clearly states that the register transitions in October 1839 from being a record for the parish of Ballindaggin (first few years/pages), to being a register for Oulart (AKA "the Ballagh"), in the later pages/years. As stated by "Maggsie", the explanation is that a priest took the register with him on being transferred from Ballindaggin to Oulart.  The priest in question was Fr. Thomas Connick, who was transferred from Ballindaggin to Oulart in October 1839, corresponding precisely with the date of the location change in the register. The register also ends in 1853, which was when Fr. Connick was again transferred, this time to the parish of Monageer.
An additional important comment is that as Fr. Connick was only the curate, I strongly suspect that the register he kept is only for the marriages and baptisms he personally performed, rather than a complete record for the entire parish.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 August 15 00:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maggsie and Wexflyer, that really explains things.
Wexflyer I can confirm that you are spot on too in your suspicion that there is another register for the Parish which I have seen on microfilm in Wexford library.
I did find some of the records I wanted in the library but not all. It takes me an hour to get there and I am not able to spend longer than 2 hours looking at them, I get a bit lightheaded trying to find the year I need and indeed the parish I need as there are 3 or 4 parishes on the one reel. I find the new site great, possibly they haven't got the other register at NLI I will wait to hear back.

As Fr. Connick has written Ballaghkeen in Oct 1839 should I assume that he was curate in the Ballagh, where did you find that information please.

Thanks again.
M
Roche Wexford/USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 August 15 00:50 BST (UK) »

As Fr. Connick has written Ballaghkeen in Oct 1839 should I assume that he was curate in the Ballagh, where did you find that information please.

Thanks again.
M
Details on Fr. Connick are contained in the book "The Secular Priests of the Diocese of Ferns", which presents short biographical notes on all known secular priests of the diocese. Fr. Connick is described on page 234 (Monageer) and listed on page 274 (Oulart). It states that he was appointed to the Ballagh in October 1839.

You are correct that there is another (later) Oulart register recorded by the NLI - it is available at the Wexford library, but also online, at
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634001#page/1/mode/1up

However, you should know that there are also earlier records which were NOT recorded by the NLI - I believe they should still be in the possession of the present PP. I discovered this from the then PP when researching some of my own lines (Crean and Smyth) in Oulart. A final comment is that the NLI missed multiple registers when they microfilmed them in the 1970s.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 August 15 01:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Wexflyer. I am actually from Oulart but I have not lived there since 1983. Before I left I did mention to the then Parish Priest that I was interested in tracing my ancestors- he offered to help me go through the registers how I wish I had made time to go down to him to do that he was very interested. I didn't get back to family history till a couple of years ago, I think its time I acquainted myself with the current Priest.

M
Roche Wexford/USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 August 15 01:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Wexflyer. I am actually from Oulart but I have not lived there since 1983. Before I left I did mention to the then Parish Priest that I was interested in tracing my ancestors- he offered to help me go through the registers how I wish I had made time to go down to him to do that he was very interested. I didn't get back to family history till a couple of years ago, I think its time I acquainted myself with the current Priest.

M
Roche Wexford/USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 August 15 01:28 BST (UK) »
... Before I left I did mention to the then Parish Priest that I was interested in tracing my ancestors- he offered to help me go through the registers how I wish I had made time to go down to him to do that he was very interested.

M

That was Fr. de Val - wonderful fellow, very, very helpful.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 August 15 02:10 BST (UK) »
I came across this thread while browsing and note that there are a couple of knowledgeable people who have contributed. May I please ask a question regarding the NLI Wexford Catholic Registers?

I have searched unsuccessfully in the registers for a baptism of an ancestor in about 1863, said to have been born in New Ross. The odd thing is that I can not even find one other baptism with the same surname (and it is generally common to see surname patterns when you look through old registers). I have the same issue with a baptism in about 1864 in Wexford.
(I did search for several years after these dates)

Does anyone know if there are missing entries for this time period in New Ross, and Wexford? The dates appear to have been digitised, but I am wondering why neither of my ancestors appear in either New Ross or Wexford where they say they were born. Can anyone offer any explanations or assistance please? :-\

I apologise for hijacking your thread M.