Author Topic: FOSTER - St Michael's, Bath  (Read 1291 times)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FOSTER - St Michael's, Bath
« on: Sunday 02 August 15 02:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschat Volunteers

Could someone confirm a baptism at St Michael's Bath for a Sarah FOSTER daughter of William in the period 1776 to 1778? And also check that there is no infant death in the same period.

The LDS have St Michael's under Batch  P019611 but the years 1760 to 1783 are not on line. I don't know if that is because those years are not available or for some other reason.

The family were only in Bath a short while between 1775 and 1778. Information for this baptism comes from a family source so confirmation would be very welcome.

Sincerely
Venelow
Canada

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: FOSTER - St Michael's, Bath
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 August 15 03:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Venelow,
FreeREG has a good coverage of Bath Baptisms;
www.freereg.org.uk

There are these 2 in the area;
SARAH Foster, 5 Sept 1775, St Peter and Paul, North Curry, Somerset to WILLIAM/AMEY
(they baptised a RUTH same day age 2)
SARAH Foster, 22 October 1776, St Michael, Bath, Mother ELIZABETH Foster

There is George/Sarah baptising North Curry at the same time, Children- Giles 1777 and Susannah 1775 age 3/2.
Burials of in North Curry;
SARAH, 14 June 1776 and SARAH, 3 April 1778, no ages given.

Your Sarah may have been a late Baptism in the Parish they were from?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FOSTER - St Michael's, Bath
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 August 15 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

Thank you for your response. I was not aware freereg covered Bath. 

According to the family information the child was born on Dec 1st 1776 in the Parish of St Michael's Bath and was baptized there. However other information from the same source has proved to be faulty in the dates given for births/deaths of three other children so it is possible there is a mistake in this case also. The family came from London. The father was William.

I did check the baptisms at Bath Abbey but drew a blank there.

I will have a scout round freereg and see if she was baptized in another parish. There is a confirmed birth and baptism for the next child in Devon in late 1778 so the family did not stay in Somerset very long.

Thank you for looking.

Venelow