Author Topic: Where is this #4  (Read 8537 times)

Online CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this #4
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 08 October 15 13:37 BST (UK) »
Welcome back ;D

Forgot to mention, someone suggested it might be a Roman Catholic church because of the Celtic style of cross on the top :-\

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 22 May 16 11:38 BST (UK) »
Perhaps I'm clutching at two straws at once,but does this church not have more than a passing resemblance to St John the Baptist,Frome,which would go with your enquiry #9,the manor house,which I tentatively suggested was Mells?

http://www.fromefamilyhistorygroup.co.uk/gallery/Fgallery1-1.jpg

Regards
Roger

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 22 May 16 12:55 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to see what it is on the tip if the spire?  Or is that missing off the photograph?

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 22 May 16 14:24 BST (UK) »
I think I've convinced myself that it is not St John's Frome.The relative position of the tower and spire,the height of the main body of the church in relation to it,and the absence of any view that shows a lychgate,all lead me to that conclusion.

Regards
Roger

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 22 May 16 14:33 BST (UK) »
You have been busy, Roger, but I agree with your later assessment that this one in Frome isn't "ours".

As you say, the alignment of the spire and nave is wrong: on "ours" there is a porch in what appears to be the west end of the nave (liturgical west - geographically it might be otherwise), with the spire at the NW corner. With the Frome church we seem to be looking at the east end, with the spire at the SW corner.

In addition, the architectural style is different. I know this can differ from one part of a church to another, but the large window in "ours" is Perpendicular with 4 lights (note the vertical lines of stonework (tracery) going all the way from bottom to top), whereas the Frome one is in a Decorated style with 5 lights.

Decorated is earlier than Perpendicular, and the tracery doesn't go all the way to the top of windows, instead branching out into some kind of pattern. Early Decorated, like this, has regular/cirular patterns, and is known as Geometric; later the patterns don't have circles and it's known as Curvilinear.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 22 May 16 19:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roger for the Frome suggestion, I can see why you suggested it!

Thank you also to Arthur for the architectural explanations.

I am leaning to it being overseas - I caught an episode of Homes in the Med or something like that the other night when they were in the Costa del Sol, and some of the scenery resembled the area around this church.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 22 May 16 20:29 BST (UK) »
I haven't found anything yet, but I've been toying with the idea of the west coast of Ireland, or SW Scotland. The palms (?), the hills to the east (and caravans?) would all be consistent with the milder climates of far western coasts...
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 19 June 16 20:34 BST (UK) »
Looking at this one again, I see there are noticeboards on the uprights of the lychgate. Would anything show up with a very high-res scan?

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 05 January 24 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Just an update to an old post in case anyone who participated in the search is still curious about it  ;)
It’s Hoskins Memorial Church, Lithgow, NSW.

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01sww/
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01swx/
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01swy/

Regards

Trish
Carroll - Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork
Hooley - Tattenhall, Cheshire
Lloyd - Gresford, Denbighshire
Platt - Wrexham, Denbighshire
Sullivan- Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork