Author Topic: Renwicks of Roxburghshire  (Read 8979 times)

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Renwicks of Roxburghshire
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 13 August 15 02:31 BST (UK) »
George Renwick at Tofts had a son called James born 26 Jan 1826, and a daughter called Jessie Ann born at the town of Rule on 2nd Jan 1828 and baptized [apparently at Hobkirk] on 16 March 1828.

Tofts is almost certainly either Upper Tofts Farm or Nether Tofts Farm, which are both just off the road between Denholm and Kirkton. I mentioned Nether Tofts in a previous reply - this farm is at least 340 years old, having been in the hands of Francis Scott of Gorrinberry towards the end of the 1600s, and I understand the present farmhouse is probably around 200 years old.

Rule could be Bedrule about a mile to the east of Denholm, it could be Spittal-on-Rule in Cavers parish, it could be Abbotrule parish or Hallrule in Hobkirk parish, or it could be Rule-Townhead which is a place in Abbotrule parish.

You may note that a James Renwick had a daughter in 1827 not far away at New Harwood. Her name is not very clear but could be Margaret, Mary or Morag.

Regards
Ian
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 13 August 15 04:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,
I have a couple more questions, and perhaps the Renwicks of my family might have lived in Rule also.

The George Renwick at Tofts, whom you mentioned, is my 3x great-grandfather (1790-1867) and his son James Renwick (1826-1901 or 1903) is my 2x great-grandfather.  His daughter, Jessie Ann, is the one born in Rule, and she married someone named Puhas (???) Spence.  I can't figure out his first name.  Any suggestions?

I did go back and reread your post about the farm.  So could George have lived and worked on the farm?  His wife is Agnes Kedzie but there isn't much info about her.  This is all amazing to me.

So this brings me back to my very first post, which is who is the father of George Renwick?  I've found a James Renwick, born on May 5, 1751 at Cavers, Roxburghshire.  Could that be him and if so who is his wife? 
Well, enough of the questions and thanks so much again.  Bev

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 13 August 15 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Bev, I think you may have confused two Jessie Anns.

There is one who married Peter Spence at Galashiels in 1881. She was the daughter of James Renwick and Helen Johnstone, and appears to have been born in about 1859 as her marriage record shows she was aged 22.

The other Jessie Ann, daughter of George Renwick and Agnes Ked(z)ie, was single and died in 1900 at the age of 72.

George probably did base himself at Tofts, for a while at least, but that is only a guess. Mole-catchers seem to have gone from farm to farm catching the moles and selling their skins for clothes.

I know that brings you no nearer the answer to your question about George's parentage  :(

Regards
Ian
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 13 August 15 19:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, I did have a couple things wrong, and I need to be more careful in the research.   James Renwick and Helen Johnstone had a daughter, Jesse Ann, born on Aug. 2, 1859, according to Statutory Births.  She is the one who married Peter Spence (I couldn't figure out the first name - thanks) and died in 1933.

George Renwick and Agnes Kedzie had a daughter, Jesse Ann born in Rule on Jan 2 in 1828, who never married, and in the Census of 1891 was living with her brother, Benjamin and his two children.  I knew that she died after 1891 but thanks for the date of 1900.  I think that I have the lineage correct?

My mother's middle name was Jesse and her father was James Renwick so I see the passing down of family names.  Bev