Author Topic: John Gilmore b. 1805 Ireland & wife Mary Rainy/Rainey- need help please  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Pooziej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to find information on where **John Gilmore was born about 1805 in Ireland and his wife Mary Rainy/Rainey.
The only information I have documented on them is an 1861 census record in Wentworth, Ontario, Canada* where John is listed as _____ Gilmore age 56. It also states he was born in the U.S.
* In the same household is his son John (Jr.) born 1830 in Canada. There is no record of wife Mary in the house (perhaps John (Sr.) was visiting or she had died by then).

**On John (Jr.) 2nd marriage record in 1862, it lists his parents as John Gilmore & Mary Rainy so that is how I found their names. I am presuming he was a Jr. as they were both named John. I did find on John Jr.'s sons death data that his father was John Henry. Of course his son was also John Henry! Nothing like adding more confusion to the mix.

All of John Jr.'s census records have him consistently being born in Upper Canada (Ontario) about 1830. His parents would have immigrated to Canada before 1830 (or even perhaps the U.S.).

I have tried for over 20 years to find John Gilmore & Mary Rainy & have had no luck at all. I have been to Toronto Ontario as well as Wentworth looking for more data and found nothing. I have a million posts on line about them with no leads. I thought I would try posting here as I have had tremendous luck finding information on other people.

Any information or tips on what I could do next would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Donna

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Gilmore b. 1805 Ireland & wife Mary Rainy/Rainey- need help please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 August 15 23:13 BST (UK) »
The information you are looking for is well before the start of civil registration in Ireland so you will need to know both the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland) before starting to search for church records- and even then many records for that period won't survive or are not online.

Previous topic on Rootschat- www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=718072.9
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Pooziej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 August 15 23:25 BST (UK) »
On the 1861 census record in Canada, his son John Jr. was a Wesleyan Methodist. John Sr.'s was blank.

That's all I have. At one time I saw on the LDS site a John Gilmore born at sea in 1830 & the parents were from Northern Ireland. Of course I can't find that record now and it may or may not have been "my" John Gilmore.

Donna

Offline Pooziej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 August 15 23:26 BST (UK) »
Perhaps my GEDmatch kit# A486351 will match me to someone in Ireland. :-)

Offline Pooziej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 January 19 17:39 GMT (UK) »
I have made a lot of progress using DNA to help me find more information on my Gilmore family.
First I have discovered that John's parents were Francis & Mary Gilmore. As John was born around 1805 I can only guess that Francis would have been born at the latest 20 years earlier -1885.
I'm hoping that now having his father's name will help along with my DNA matches to other Gilmore's.
I believe that Francis Gilmore had several brothers also living in Ontario Canada.

John "Black Jock" Gilmore b. 1799 Ballynure, Grange of Doagh, Antrim who married Isabella Cochran  b. 1796. Her father was Alexander Cochran & mother Elizabeth Campbell. Alexander immigrated to Gore, Argenteuil, Quebec before 1840. They had a son John Gilmore born 1819 in Ireland.

John William (William) Gilmore b. 1798 married Elizabeth Bell b 1807. Their first son John was born in 1830 Osnabruck, Ontario. Family trees associated with this family list his place of birth as Belfast.

William Gilmore b. 1787 married to Catherine McLellen. Their 1st child Sara was born in Canada in 1842.

Joseph Gilmore b. 1798 married Mary Blackadda(r)/Blackater/Blackadore b 1805. The had a son James Blackadda Gilmore b. 1826 Ireland.

I'm hoping the above information I have found may help to find where my Gilmore family came from. At least they all have Antrim in common. :-) If nothing else can be found, I'm happy with what I have.
Another thing I noticed was each of the "brothers" had a son John. Perhaps this could be that their father was named John. ? Also at some point in each family they had a Francis.

Thanks,
Donna