Author Topic: Canter of Great Somerford / Malmesbury  (Read 2403 times)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Canter of Great Somerford / Malmesbury
« on: Monday 03 August 15 01:41 BST (UK) »
i have what appears to be one Thomas Canter marrying an Elizabeth Shergold or Shurgold......

The Wiltshire bmd is showing children as John[b 1849], William [b 1851] Edward James [b 1853] , Mary J [b 1857], Clara [b 1859], Eleanor A or Hannah [b 1863] and mentioned as Ellen in 1871, and Emily Louisa [b 1864].
The Wiltshire bmd suggests all children born in Malmesbury area and I would assume more to the point that is actually Great Somerford ......

A 1911 census puts Eleanor Hannah in St Mary Abbots Terrace Kensington as a single housemaid servant with other folk in the abode......

BEFORE my internet connection started grieving me painfully I managed to find an 1871 census for the family all bar John who was either not at home or otherwise indisposed.....

So.....   I would like to explore a] the census of 1871 for the occupations of the household, and determine Johns position in 1871......
            then I would like to find the blessed marriage of Thomas to Elizabeth Shergold / Shurgold....

Now in the entries of Wilts BMD was another listing for the Canter family in Malmesbury for a Thomas Canter born 1854 but the mothers maiden name as Cottle.......
So i need to find out more about this child as I have a problem and that is the Cottle family was also related to the Shurgold family so is this woman Cottle/ Shergold/ Canter......

also any sub inf regarding this family like who is Elizabeths parents and Thomas must have a family from somewhere.....  then when did they all marry, die give issue to etc.......    but occupation and abodes may be important here please...............................thanks..

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Canter of Great Somerford / Malmesbury
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 August 15 01:56 BST (UK) »
Hi The 1851 tells you more of the family of Thomas including his Grandmother by the looks of it, and this marriage:-

Thomas Canter to Elizabeth SHEARGO Sept qtr 1849 Malmesbury v8 page 579

1851 Census ref HO107/1835/197/3 Thomas b c 1829 Great Somerford Elizabeth b c 1826 Box
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 August 15 01:59 BST (UK) »
keyboard, cheers...was that HO51 on anc or FindMyPast?

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 August 15 02:05 BST (UK) »
keyboard, cheers...was that HO51 on anc or FindMyPast?

HO107 ref is 1851 should be on both, large houshold!

Keyboard

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 August 15 02:24 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Elizabeth could well be the Betty Sheargold aged 15 with parents Thomas 40 and Elizabeth 35 and siblings residing at Slaughterford, Chippenham, Wilts
Census Ref HO107/1172/ 12/4 / 3

Keyboard

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 August 15 00:18 BST (UK) »
thanks keyboard.......    done and dusted , we have achieved the tree now for this line of the family.....
strange though cos another genealogist overlooked this lass............ even though they did most of the surrounding tree......