Author Topic: Penmon Quarry manager 1875-1880  (Read 4914 times)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Penmon Quarry manager 1875-1880
« on: Monday 03 August 15 09:48 BST (UK) »
My gt-grandfather C K Liversidge (variously spelt) was manager until he died of typhoid on Boxing Day 1877.  It seems his place was taken by his brother-in-law Henry Young from Liverpool, but in the hiatus the men were not paid, resulting in a dispute.  In Feb.1878 a small coastal ship was damaged while loading a 2½-ton limestone block, which led to a court case a year later.

Any information about H.Young's stay in Anglesey would be welcome.  I can't find him anywhere in the 1881 census, when his family was in Wavertree; he died in 1889.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Penmon Quarry manager 1875-1880
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 September 15 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew.
     I see that there is a Charles Kinder Liversidge, married to Mary Emma Liversidge recording the birth of their daughter, Ethel Emma in 1869. At that time the family is living at Nannerch, Flintshire. In 1970, Ethel Emma's baptism is held at St. Peter's Church, Liverpool.
 This could well be a pointer to your search for C.K. Liversidge and H. Young. Hope that this helps.
                                                   regards, Peter.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline sherlock2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 January 16 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew.
 Charles Kinder Liversidge,  his ancestry goes back to Huddersfield in the early 1800's and is a branch of my own family. Born 2.5.1841 bapt  23.8.1841 at Ramsden Street Chapel Huddersfield,  son of Kinder Liversidge and Jane Spouncer. Married Emma Young Q3 1863 West Derby Reg. District. Sorry I can't help you with the Young side of your search.
 Regards
          Steve

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 January 16 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks Steve, I've got all this info, and I know a fair bit about the Young family.  My gt-grandparents were Mary Emma and CKL.  Please ask if I can help with yours.  I was optimistically hoping for details of the other Liversidges ....

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 January 16 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew,

In case you do not already have the details of the births on Anglesey of the children of Charles Kinder Liversidge and Mary Emma Young:-

Charles Kinder, son of Charles Kinder Liversidge and Mary Emma Young - 28 Dec 1877 - Llanddaniel-fab, father deceased.
Georgina Bertha Young, dau of CKL & MEY - 12 Dec 1876 - Penmon, twin.
Harry Hanley Young, son of CKL & MEY - 12 Dec 1876 - Penmon, twin.
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 January 16 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Charles Kinder, son of Charles Kinder Liversidge and Mary Emma Young - 28 Dec 1877 - Llanddaniel-fab, father deceased.
Georgina Bertha Young, dau of CKL & MEY - 12 Dec 1876 - Penmon, twin.
Harry Hanley Young, son of CKL & MEY - 12 Dec 1876 - Penmon, twin.
Thanks again both, but I have birth certs for most of that family (that's Stanley by the way, not Hanley).  I was hoping to find out more about what happened to the sons - two of the 5 girls (one my grandmother) married, and the other 3 became spinster schoolmarms.  They all returned to Liverpool after CKL died, and Charles Percy became a manager with Lancs & Yorks Assurance (now part of Aviva), but mysteriously disappeared about 1903.  No record found so far - why not?  Folklore has it that he topped himself.  Any suggestions?

Offline sherlock2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 January 16 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew.
              What specific information do you need on the Liversidge side. During completing my own tree as far as I can, I have collected a lot of information about the Huddersfield branch, and its spread to Liverpool.  I am now in the early stages of a new project of the spread of the Liversidge surname. Initially I have started with the spread of the name throughout Yorkshire, but have just started collecting and collating data from the rest of the U.K. By using just the four main variants of the name, Liversidge/sedge and Leversidge/sedge I have built up a database of just shy of 9000 births. The problem is there are about 15 other possible variants and I have to decide which are just variants and which are totally different surnames. As you will gather this is a work in progress and will not be finished any time soon. It would appear though, that from your connection to CKL that we are very distant cousins.

Regards
     Steve

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 January 16 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Bit of a long shot, but there's a Charles Liversidge b c1873 initiated into the Merchant Navy lodge of the Freemasons in 1918. His residence is Upper Norwood and his occupation is gas and water inspector.

I just mention this as this newspaper article shows a clear link between Charles Percy, his father and the freemasons

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3364411/3364413/36/

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 January 16 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Bit of a long shot, but there's a Charles Liversidge b c1873 initiated into the Merchant Navy lodge of the Freemasons in 1918. His residence is Upper Norwood and his occupation is gas and water inspector.

I just mention this as this newspaper article shows a clear link between Charles Percy, his father and the freemasons
Thanks, Mabel, I had seen the cutting about the Mold lodge.  I shall look into your 1918 reference, but without much hope, as (a) his middle name was Percy and he usually has that initial, (b) he isn't in the 1911 census (tho if he was in the MN maybe he was afloat), (c) Kelly's Directory for Liverpool shows him annually until 1903 when he disappears, and the company archives have no explanation; (d) folklore says he topped himself.

Unfortunately the source of the folklore is no longer available ....  :(