Author Topic: France - baptism of Louis MICHEL, Rouen c1781  (Read 754 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
France - baptism of Louis MICHEL, Rouen c1781
« on: Monday 03 August 15 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

According to a number of Ancestry trees Louis Michel was born about 1780/1781 in Rouen, Seine Maritime, France.  As I don't currently have worldwide membership I wonder if someone is able to check records to find this man's baptism and parents?

I would be really grateful.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: France - baptism of Louis MICHEL, Rouen c1781
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 August 15 15:35 BST (UK) »
There are original parish records at the Seine Maritime archives:
http://recherche.archivesdepartementales76.net/?id=recherche_guidee_etat_civil

The problem is that there are several parishes for Rouen. If the Ancestry trees only have approximate dates they probably don't know which parish he was baptised at. Do you know any more about this man - might he also have married in Rouen?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: France - baptism of Louis MICHEL, Rouen c1781
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 August 15 18:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying jorose.  Some of the information on the many Ancestry trees has been proved to be correct and other bits of information is obviously guesswork.  I think his birth, for instance has been taken from his burial record which states he was 54 years old in 1835. 

His marriage hasn't been found to my knowledge, or at least it hasn't appeared on any of the trees.  His first son, Henry was baptised 1803 in St Leonards, Shoreditch followed a year later by Elizabeth again at St Leonards, Shoreditch.  Later children were baptised at Newington and Walworth.

One of his sons, Louis John went to Australia where he became the first man to prospect for gold and there is a biography in the Australian Dictionary of biography http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/michel-louis-john-4195 which gives his mother's maiden name as well as other useful information.  It does say both parents are of French origin despite the rather English name of Watts but I wonder if they did marry in France.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....