Author Topic: WALL  (Read 10161 times)

Offline romanby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WALL
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 February 12 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Dear Musiktrish

My Joseph Wall married Elizabeth Holmes (who was born Burton on Trent ) around 1837 but I cannot find any documentation. They had at least 4 children Richard who was 3 in 1841 Census, Joseph born 1842, William born 1843(my GGF who died in Haughton Le Skerne in 1888) and Elizabeth born 1845.
From 1841 to 1871 the family lived in the civil parish of Aston, Deritend and Bordesley.
In 1871 Census Joseph Wall's birthplace is badly written he is aged 56 a waggoner born Hereford P---idge but I cannot make out the rest of the placename - perhaps someone with access to Ancestry can give me a hand reading it.

Offline musictrish

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 February 12 18:07 GMT (UK) »
It's probably Pembridge but I'll take a look anyway. According to the 1851 census Joseph says he was born in Worcester, Worcestershire.

I am desperately searching for the birthplace of my 5 x gr. grandfather Edward Wall, around 1733, and Pembridge is one of the places where around that time an Edward was born.
 How did you manage to get Elizabeth's surname ? Was it through the birth of one of the children ? 

musictrish

Offline musictrish

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 February 12 18:22 GMT (UK) »
I've taken a look and it appears to read Penkridge and Penkridge is in Staffordshire, after checking with the IGI a Joseph Wall was bapt. in Penkridge 12 th Dec. 1813 parents Thomas and Sarah.

The other bapt. I found earlier was in in Worcester at Upton on Severn 13th Dec 1812 parents Joseph and Hester.

musictrish

Offline romanby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 February 12 18:38 GMT (UK) »
my cousin thought it could be penkridge but that joseph wall was still there in later census records whereas i know my joseph had moved to aston birmingham where all 4 children were born.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 February 12 18:41 GMT (UK) »
In 1871 Census Joseph Wall's birthplace is badly written he is aged 56 a waggoner born Hereford P---idge but I cannot make out the rest of the placename - perhaps someone with access to Ancestry can give me a hand reading it.

There is a new thread about this here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,582094.msg4337370.html#msg4337370
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline petexxx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 September 16 04:33 BST (UK) »
My side of the Wall family emigrated from Ireland and in 1860 Edward Wall was married in Liverpool's ProCathedral on Brownlow Hill**, he must have got right back on the boat to the emerald Isle for his son/my Grand Dad James Wall was born 1861 in Dunlavin, County Wicklow.                   
                                                                My Uncle Joseph Wall at age 16 participated in the heroic 1916 Easter uprising and rose to become a Lt in the IRA; imprisoned by the Brits at age 21 he escaped and in 1921 is shown entering the USA in Ellis Island record books.

** Saint Nicholas Pro-Cathedral was demolished in 1970'ish coinciding with opening of the new Liverpool Roman Catholic Cathedral aka worlds biggest wigwam.