Author Topic: St. Asaph Cemetery Records  (Read 3414 times)

Offline stapler40

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. Asaph Cemetery Records
« on: Monday 10 August 15 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hello:

Could someone make a suggestion as to how I would go about trying to locate the gravesite of my 2nd great grandfather. I have a record of his probate, stating:

Garner, James of Tycanol Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd died 18 March 1917 Adminstration (with will) St. Asaph.

I have him on the 1911 census living in Ruthin as a baker, aged 59.

If he died in Ruthin can anyone suggest any cemeteries that I could search. I will be visiting the area, for the first time this coming December, and I hope there is a gravesite I could visit.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St. Asaph Cemetery Records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 August 15 23:46 BST (UK) »
The St Asaph part of the Will is something of a red herring really.St Asaph is only referred to as Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd is part of the St Asaph Diocese.Also Llanfair D C is about twenty miles from St Asaph itself.More on Llanfair D C here;
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/LlanfairDC/index.html

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 08:04 BST (UK) »
Y LLan.  30th March 1917.

DEONIAETH DYFFRYN CLWYD.
In Welsh,  but it may help

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3688661/3688667/49/
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline stapler40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this. I've used google translate and I get the general scope of what has happened to James Garner; I am also confused. James Garner's name appears on the Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd War Memorial and I would like to know why. From the newspaper it appears that he was a ships cook aboard a Royal Navy vessel, Hong. Perhaps that is why his name is up on the memorial. I'm also wondering if there is anyway I can confirm he has a gravestone at St. Marys, Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd,
Again, thanks

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 15:13 BST (UK) »
Just checked out FindMyPast.
James Garner is listed twice. The first is the Index, and the secods seems to indicate he is buried in Llanfair Dyffryn  Clwyd.
You could take a look at the burial register image and see which Church it was, I don`t subscribe to FindMyPast so can`t help.

GARNER  JAMES  1853  1917   England & Wales deaths 1837-2007  Ruthin, Denbighshire, Wales   

GARNER  JAMES  1853   1917  Denbigh Burials  Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, Denbighshire, Wales 

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 15:18 BST (UK) »
This doesn`t mean he has a headstone though,  and I can`t see a War Grave listed.
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx?cpage=1&sort=name&order=asc

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
Transcripts of some of the individuals on war memorials have been transcribed by Clwyd FHS as under

GARNER
James   Royal Navy   1917   65   Born Liverpool, England. Husband of Isabella Garner (nee Keegan), Tŷ Canol, Llanfair Dyffyn
As far as I remember there are two graveyards in Llanfair. The first the one  is St Mary's in the village and there are some gravestones although most have been removed and I do not think they are recorded. I was however looking for older ones and you may be lucky.
The second is turn left from the Ruthin to Wrexham road in the village - coming from Ruthin.
This is with a chapel still in use.
I would telephone Ruthin archives to check.
Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 22:05 BST (UK) »
Just noticed this on the Llanfair memorial and thought it might be of interest
ate
KEEGAN
William
69421 & 37015   Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment
(6th Bn.)
formerly
East Surrey Regiment   11 Aug 1918   18   Son of Dinah Keegan, of  17, Rhos Street, Llanfair Dyffyn Clwyd. Resident of Romford, Essex, England.   Ville-sur-Ancre Communal Cemetery Extension, Somme, France
Presumably related to his wife
Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline stapler40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 22:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, this William would be James Garner's nephew by marriage. Dianah Keegan was the sister of Isabella, James Garners wife. Sad that the war took both men but I would suspect that was not so unusual for much of Britain during those years.

I just found it interesting that James is listed on the WW1 memorial, so I am presuming that he died, or injured and later died, whilst in the Navy.

Thanks