Author Topic: St Wilfrid's RC Church Manchester Baptisms (1842-1907) and Marriages (1844-1916)  (Read 3380 times)

Offline Deer243

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I've just bought the transcript CD from the Manchester and Lancashire Family History Society so PM me with any look ups needed.
Dillon (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Duggan (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Marley (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Hogan (Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland)
Reekie (Fife)
Elston (Brecon, Birmingham, Dorset, Devon)
Pearsall (Birmingham)
Kinninmonth (Fife)
Kinnaird (Fife)

Offline Naukit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St Wilfrid's RC Church Manchester Baptisms (1842-1907) and Marriages (1844-1916)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 November 15 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I tried to order the CD for St wilfrid's but it is noted as being sold out... Would you be able to do look ups for me for BRABANT please? The parents were (John) Louis Brabant & Annie Maria Dobson who married in St Wilfrids on 10 November 1886. They had 5 children - Louis Christopher Brabant, born about 1888 (died in the Workhouse aged 10), Kathleen Halpin Brabant born 1890, died 1899, Gaspard Theodore Brabant born 1892 died 1894, William Alexander Brabant, born 1893 (died 1947 in Dorset) and Edward Leopold Brabant, born 1895.
It's really kind of you to offer look ups - thank you so much.
Naukit

Offline Deer243

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: St Wilfrid's RC Church Manchester Baptisms (1842-1907) and Marriages (1844-1916)
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 November 15 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Naukit,

Here's the marriage record for John and Annie (copy and pasted):

10 Nov 1886
Groom: Joannem Ludovicium BRABANT of 166 Radnor St son of Joannis Baptistae BRABANT of ..  .isant, Belgium

Bride: Annam DOBSON of 166 Radnor St dau of Joannis DOBSON of Co Wicklow Ireland

Witnesses: Carolo CAIN of 179 York St and Catherina KANE of 21 Edge St

I presume the dots before the place name given for the groom's Father means that part of the place name was illegible. It might be worth contacting the MLFHS to see if they took photos of the register when they transcribed them as that might give you a chance to try and work out what the illegible word says. By the way, this was the only entry for a Brabant (and variants that I could think of) in the St Wilfrid's marriage transcription.

Kathleen's baptism record:

Baptised: 31 Aug 1890 Father: Joannis Ludovici BRABANT Mother: Annae Mariae DOBSON of: 13 Lucknow Gr. C-on-M Godfather: Not named Godmother: Margarita Anna WARD Notes: Born 27 Jul 1890 - Page 156

(John) Louis's baptism was a bit harder to find:

24 Aug 1888 Baptised: 24 Aug 1888 Father: Joannae BRABAUCH? Mother: Annae Mariae DOBSON of: 13 Lucknow G[...] Godfather: Jacobus [...]HEARTY Godmother: Not named Notes: Born 1 Aug 1888 - Page 1

These were the only Brabant baptisms that I could find (including variants I could think of) in the St. Wilfrid's baptism transcription.

That left three children still unaccounted for so I had a look in some other transcriptions I've got, first the St Augustine's of Granby Row register (1820-26 and 1855-1900) and then St Joseph's of Ordsall (1875-1909) but unfortunately with no luck at either.

Hopefully that helps a bit!
Reekie (Fife)
Pearsall (Birmingham)
Kinninmonth (Fife)
Kinnaird (Fife)

Offline Naukit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 November 15 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for such a prompt reply and for taking all the trouble to extend the search. I am very grateful to you.
All the best!
Naukit

Offline Nikki Lund

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 April 17 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have just seen this post and I would love to have some details from this parish if possible.  I too have tried to get this cd but it is forever out of stock.  The names I am interested in are any Cardas or Cardus records as I believe they have some records at this parish. If you could help I would be most grateful  :)
Many thanks in advance
Nikki 

Offline Deer243

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 April 17 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have just seen this post and I would love to have some details from this parish if possible.  I too have tried to get this cd but it is forever out of stock.  The names I am interested in are any Cardas or Cardus records as I believe they have some records at this parish. If you could help I would be most grateful  :)
Many thanks in advance
Nikki

Hi Nikki,

I'll have a look tomorrow and see what I can find.
Reekie (Fife)
Pearsall (Birmingham)
Kinninmonth (Fife)
Kinnaird (Fife)

Offline Nikki Lund

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 April 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much  :) Look forward to seeing if you can find anything  ;D
Nikki

Offline Deer243

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
"Cardas" Baptisms:

25 Mar 1858 Baptised: 25 Mar 1858 Father: Thoma Adamus MADLEY Mother: Isabella CARDAS of: 2 Bursall Yd ? Godfather: BOOTH Godmother: Maria Joanna DOBSON Notes: Born 3rd Dec 1857

7 Oct 1861 Baptised: 7 Oct 1861 Father: Thomas Adams MADELEY Mother: Isabella CARDAS of: 4 Craton St Godfather: Not named Godmother: Maria Joanna HEALD Notes: Born Aug 7th 1861

1 May 1870 Baptised: 1 May 1870 Father: Thomae Adami MADELEY Mother: Isabellae Carolinae CARDAS of: 19 Gay St Godfather: Not named Godmother: Sarah BROOM Notes: Born Apr 19th 1870

5 Oct 1873 Baptised: 5 Oct 1873 Father: Thomae Adams MADELEY Mother: Isabella CARDAS of: 19 Gay St. Godfather: Edvardus MADELEY Godmother: Isabella MADELEY Notes: Born 21st Sept. 1873

21 Feb 1875 Baptised: 21 Feb 1875 Father: Thomae Adams MADELEY Mother: Isabella CARDAS of: 19 Guy/Gay? St Godfather: Robert CUNNINGHAM Godmother: Maria Anna CUNNINGHAM Notes: Born 7th Feb 1875

18 Aug 1878 Baptised: 18 Aug 1878 Father: Thomas Adam MADELEY Mother: Isabella CARDAS of: 19 Gay St Godfather: Thomas Seth MADELEY Godmother: Ellena Maria BROWN Notes: Born 22 Jul 1878 - Page 3

30 Jan 1881 Baptised: 30 Jan 1881 Father: Thomae Adami MADELEY Mother: Elizabethae Carolinae CARDAS of: 19 Gay St Godfather: Thomas Seth MADELEY Godmother: Elizabetha Margareta MADELEY Notes: Born 21 Jan 1881 - Page 187

"Cardes" Baptisms:

6 Feb 1876 Baptised: 6 Feb 1876 Father: Thomas Alani MADELEY Mother: Isabellae Carroline CARDES Godfather: Edwardus G. MADELEY Godmother: Elizabeth M. MADELEY Notes: Born 25th Jan 1876

"Cardus" Baptisms:

24 Jul 1859 Baptised: 24 Jul 1859 Father: Thomae MADELY Mother: Isabella CARDUS of: Mary St. Vine St Godfather: Gulielmus MAGRATH Godmother: Catharinae MAGRATH Notes: Born July 13th 1859

13 Oct 1867 Baptised: 13 Oct 1867 Father: Thomas Adams MADELEY Mother: Isabella Mariae CARDUS of: 19 Gay St. Godfather: Joannes ODBER Godmother: Carolettae HITCHIN Notes: Born 27th Sept. 1867

13 Aug 1865 Baptised: 13 Aug 1865 Father: Thomae Adams MADELEY Mother: Isabellae CARDUS of: 19 Gay Street Godfather: Jacobus COFFEY Godmother: Dorandio COFFEY Notes: Born Aug 2nd 1865

30 Jun 1872 Baptised: 30 Jun 1872 Father: Thomae MADELEY Mother: Isabellae CARDUS of: 19 Gay St Godfather: Thomas ADAMS Godmother: Anna ANDERSON Notes: Born 19th Jun 1872

7 Sep 1863 Baptised: 7 Sep 1863 Father: Thomae Adams MADELEY Mother: Isabellae Carolinae CARDUS of: 19 Gay St. Godfather: Not named Godmother: Anna KELLY Notes: Born 27th Aug 1863

1 Nov 1868 Baptised: 1 Nov 1868 Father: Thomae Adams MADELEY Mother: Isabellae Carolinae CARDUS of: 19 Gay St Godfather: Jacobus COFFEY Godmother: Honora COFFEY Notes: Born 20th Oct 1868

I'm afraid that there were no Cardas, Cardus or Cardes marriages though.

Hope that helps!

Reekie (Fife)
Pearsall (Birmingham)
Kinninmonth (Fife)
Kinnaird (Fife)

Offline Nikki Lund

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Oh wow xx thats fantastic  ;D Thank you so much for taking the time to find all that for me.  They are definitely relatives from my tree and this helps a lot. Isabella Cardas was my 3rd great grandmother and her side of the family has been hard to trace - especially her earlier life and parentage.  I had a feeling some of the baptisms of her and Thomas (her husband) were at St Wilfrids.  Thank you so much again  :) Am off to have a closer look at your findings  :)
Nikki