Author Topic: Brick wall in my tree! George Ernest Williams died in Islington, London 1992  (Read 9526 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall in my tree! George Ermest Williams died in Islington, London 1988
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 22:51 BST (UK) »
If it helps, the death I'm looking at was 1 qr, so would be winter. This is the only "George Ernest" I can see in London in 1988 give or take 5 years.

I'll post it in case we need to come back to it as a possibility.

Name:   George Ernest Williams
Birth Date:   21 May 1920
Date of Registration:   Mar 1992
Age at Death:   71
Registration district:   Islington
Inferred County:   London
Volume:   13
Page:   1491

Do you know of the names of any siblings for George Ernest?

Offline Jsavage00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall in my tree! George Ermest Williams died in Islington, London 1988
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 22:55 BST (UK) »
I have looked at the Islington gazette for this accident but I could not find any matches.
And George being born in 1920 could be correct as Winifred was born around 1921.
My granddad also said he was a staff sergeant during world war two but he got married in 1942 so I do not understand this... Thank you again.
Jsavage00

Edited to add:
My granddad also said he had a brother called "Dick" which was a nickname for Richard.
He also said that Richard moved to New South Wales in Australia and fought during world war two.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall in my tree! George Ernest Williams died in Islington, London 1988
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 23:02 BST (UK) »
Yes, sorry, I see you said that (it's been a long day!) Unfortunately not an uncommon forename... I had hoped the combination of several siblings might lead to a common set of births.

What don't you understand about it? People in the army did not spend the entire time away. My own great grandfather was fighting in France in WW1, came back (presumably on leave), got married and then was shipped back out again. Things like that did happen.

I would suggest that the marriage cert, if you know the details (buy direct from GRO not Ancestry though), would be the way to go for his parentage. The death certificate, if it is his, would I believe have his place of birth as well as the date- hopefully other details will tie in, such as the manner of his death, his occupation, and the informant provided it wasn't delivered by the coroner instead.

Offline Jsavage00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall in my tree! George Ernest Williams died in Islington, London 1988
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 23:06 BST (UK) »
On Thursday I am hopefully able to view some of his personal letters and diaries my granddad has kept. Hopefully there are some names, etc.
I'm just confused on why there isn't a newspaper article on this event. I do know the road name in which this event occurred on.
Jsavage00

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 23:08 BST (UK) »
Possibly it is too recent for your database, or the newspaper or that time period hasn't been added to the database yet?

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 23:13 BST (UK) »
I see you've already been given the 1992 death on another forum, where you also gave additional info including a suggested mother's name of Lottie/Lotte:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fw8/

You will I think need to purchase the marriage certificate in order to have concrete facts with which to progress.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Jsavage00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 23:15 BST (UK) »
Yeah, that could be a possibility. Plus its not like I can just order any certificates because it could be the wrong George Ernest Williams. (He just HAD to have the most common name! O.o haha)
Jsavage00

Edited to add:
yes ww2 talk suggested this site to me :)
I would not go with the mothers maiden name because my granddad suggested that!
He told me the brothers name was albert (bert) Williams and today he changed his mind to Richard Williams! My granddad is old though so ill let him off...
Jsavage00

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 23:28 BST (UK) »
You mentioned a Mildmay address in your other thread.

I see that in the 1945-47 electoral rolls, Lottie Williams and Winifred M Williams were listed at 64 Mildmay Grove, Islington.

Could this be George's mother and wife together?
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 23:33 BST (UK) »
1950 electoral roll:

64 Mildmay Grove: Lottie Williams (and others)

66 Mildmay Grove: George E and Winifred M Williams (and others).