Author Topic: Sgt 208611 G Jones RWF died 27 4 1921 buried Sarn  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Sgt 208611 G Jones RWF died 27 4 1921 buried Sarn
« on: Tuesday 11 August 15 22:40 BST (UK) »
I research Royal Welsh Fusiliers men who served WW1

Sgt 208611 G Jones is on CWGC as buried at Sarn (Holy Trinity), Kerry

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/670258/JONES,%20G

At the moment, armed only with the CWGC details, I cannot identify him to a full name etc.

(nil medals/service/pensions to this number, nil Soldiers Effects)

I have looked to see if the burial records are on Find My Past. They don't seem to be (but if the indexing is anything like Caernarfonshire, who knows)

Is there anyone on this board please who may have access to the MIs (if they exist) or the Burial Book or maybe both so that I can progress my query in identifying Sgt Jones.

The number was issued in 1919 but I'd say that Sgt Jones had transferred to that number from another unit.

The nearest War Memorial I can see is at Kerry and from the photo I have seen on that there doesn't seem to be a Jones that has a first name with a G

TIA
Gwil

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sgt 208611 G Jones RWF died 27 4 1921 buried Sarn
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 23:25 BST (UK) »
There is a service record on Findmypast for a George Jones 208611, he appears to have been in other service before the RWF.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sgt 208611 G Jones RWF died 27 4 1921 buried Sarn
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 06:52 BST (UK) »
Excellent result Cathy. Many thanks. It goes to show that getting a fresh pair of eyes to have a look over something pays off.

Ancestry is my usual search engine. I have FindMyPast on a months trial but I'm not accustomed to it's Military search facilities. Can't get used to how the results on vague searches are displayed as opposed to Ancestry. Putting the number should have been an easy task for me though! and it was just about the only thing I hadn't done.

I have found him now on Ancestry (Pensions) where they have it as 308611. No wonder I couldn't find him after numerous combinations of Jones/Sarn/Kerry/Montgomery/RWF...he was from Welshpool (at least on the page that was indexed he was)

It looks like he had started his war off with RWF 7th Bn Territorials (3042) but guarding the Marconi  Wireless installation in Towyn (20008). That unit was converted into a Royal Defence Corps unit in 1916 (18176). Those duties at Towyn were passed over to others and he moved within the RDC elsewhere in the UK. After some more transfers within the UK he eventually came back to RWF with this 208611 number in January 1919. Nothing seen yet about his demise but I'll go through them again plus I now have many more numbers (and a full name!) to have a look for any further papers.
Once again, many thanks

Gwil