Author Topic: Connection between William and Henry Green?  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Connection between William and Henry Green?
« on: Wednesday 12 August 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there is any connection between William and Henry Green?
I have found this record from Michaelmas Session (at Buckingham?), 5th October, 1721

Possibly related to  Spidermonky's reply Reply #24 on: Tuesday 22 May http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=597886.18

'p. 258.  Recognizances discharged.
Thomas Smith of Olney, Thomas White of Great Horwood, William Redding of Winslow, Anne, wife of Thomas Smith and Robert Canby senior, of Upton, William Green of Stoke Poges, Richard Tuckwell, Thomas Aldridge and Thomas Rogers of Aylesbury, Augustine Bishop, junior, and Thomas Gates of Dinton, Joseph Besouth, Henry Alden and John Sedgwick of Colebrook, John Serjeant, Richard Waddupp and Job Serjeant of Chitwood, Thomas Scott of Creslow, William Miles junior, and William Christmas of Wendover, Thomas Robinson, Samuel Frost, senior, Samuel Frost junior, and Francis Clark of Shenley, Richard Cowley of Stony Stratford and Henry Burton of Wolverton'.
http://www.bucksrecsoc.org.uk/QS-VOLUMES/QS5.html

I do not seem to have the expertise needed to find out if the William Green mentioned is related to my great grandmother Mary Ethel Russel,  but, it seems to me rather possible that there might well be as she was married at Stoke Poges in 1899.

I think William Green may be Henry Green's father

Henry Green  Head  Mar  27  Horse keeper  bn Shrops, Oswestry Mary Ethel Green  Wife  Mar  26  bn Berks, Windsor Elizabeth Ethel Green  Dau  1  bn Berks,

Also, what is meaning of  Recognizances discharged?

Please can anybody suggest a way of investigating this further?

Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Connection between William and Henry Green?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 11:48 BST (UK) »
Recognizances to keep the peace and be of good behavior.
A conditional discharge, was usually accompanied by further recognizances to keep the peace and be of good behavior. To “bind over to come up for judgement”  was a common law power which could be exercised in respect of any offence except one where the penalty was fixed by law. If he breaks one or more of the conditions he will be brought back to the court for sentence, and may forfeit the recognizance,  but if he does not break any of the conditions during the specified period he will either be not  sentenced for the offence, or will receive a nominal penalty.

Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 11:59 BST (UK) »
The person bound over to keep the peace was usually  required to find two sureties of say £10 each, which would be forfeit if they broke any of the conditions of the discharge. I assume that  Recognizances discharged means that the sureties were no longer required.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 August 15 22:19 BST (UK) »
I don't want to sound discouraging but Green is a maddeningly common name, particularly in central parts of England. Time and again I find that people of this name, even in the same village, turn out to be no discernible relation to my ancestors. One of my great great aunts Green even married a completely unrelated Green!

Sorry I've no time to read the Scavenger hunt at this hour. Chris
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)